Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

E61 Owners Can you convince me?

IMHO if you NEED a pda then get a windows mobile phone. there are thousands of windows mobile apps out there. i love my phone for email,texting, surfing the net and daily reminders but if you need a pda advise go with windows mobile. the e61 is a easy hassle free phone but if you need more functionality then go with windows mobile. i will probably switch back to a windows mobile phone just for work and keep my e61 for when i go out at night. this phone is not a PDA so you really cant even compare.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nokia E61 - advertised as everything but a camera, which is true. It has got superb qwerty keypad, and amazing wifi browser. The screen can get damaged easily, just like any phone, so buy a screen protect, you can pick them up for a few dollars. Also buy a memory card for the phone, you will need it

Hmmmmm.... How ISNT the e62 a pda???? If you make such claim surely you have reasons to say.....

are you joking? well the first thing that comes to mind is microsft project. if anyone out there uses it for scheduling there is a ppc app that can sync with it. here is a link http://www.twiddlebit.com/.. the e61 cant handle apps like that. another example... the only reminder app that i have used on my e61 is handy clock. its no where near handy. if i happen to be away from my phone for an extended perriod of time, the reminder alarm will expire and i will forget about the reminder alltogether. this is not the case with the many ppc reminder apps that keep on reminding you until you shut it off. uh lets see... the many estimating apps there are to choose from. the many different calendar apps that are way better than papyrus. the simple fact that agile messenger works right on my ppc. lets not forget how easy it is to connect my ppc to my desktop at home or work when im out of town. the list goes on and that is without me even thinking about how much more practical a ppc is for business. juat think about what you would like to be able to do and most likely find a ppc app that can do it. and the fact that my ppc has evdo through verizon.. i can actually use slingbox, stream music without any buffering, and use it as a high speed modem. last but not least you can hack the hell out of a ppc and get it to do more than you could imagine. there is no such thing as a crippled device as long as you know what you are doing or know someone who does. all this said i love my e61 as long as it doesnt start acting crazy on me again.

We know it's You!

I think those Mac commercials are starting to get to you!

Coming from an 8125, I love my e61 because of 2 main reasons:
    1) I can make and receive phone calls. (If you're not in some sort of "signal stronghold" like NYC, don't take this part for granted on an HTC/WinMo device)
    2) It works like I expect it to. No strange things (reboots, loss of GPRS, just flat out turns off) happening.

If you want a little computer in your pocket that acts up like computers do (or at least used to), then get a WinMo device. If you want a mobile phone plus a lot more without a lot of worry or attention, get a Nokia. If your signal strength gets to 1 or 2 bars regularly, get a Nokia....You'll have less dropped calls. Don't even consider a PPC.

...just my $.02

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

see i have a n73 and i love the phone but the problem is that in that phone i cant type a email or a message and tats why i got myself a palm treo but when i got the phone the battery life on it sucks and i m really disappointed it is like i have walk with a charger

so thats why i wanted to move to nokia e61 i know i will miss the camera but i think its better that i have a phone that i can use then to have a camera which have no use

The Symbian operating system evolved from EPOC. EPOC was the operating system on the Psion PDAs that were quite popular in Europe but never seemed to catch on in North America. At the time PalmOS was really the PDA platform for North America. Symbian has done a nice job of integrating with phone functionality. Nokia seems to be able to make a good phone and integrate it with a reasonably good PDA.

I had a Treo 700p for a while. Before that a few other palm devices, and one of the old Treo 180s. The Treos just aren't that great as phones. Partly poor RF performance and poor audio quality really ruined otherwise nice devices.

RIM is another serious contender. Their operating system and Java based applications actually can do quite a bit more than many would expect from a few years back. The operating system is fairly stable and can multitask. Obviously it is oriented towards messaging, but the selection of applications is actually quite impressive. The UI design on the RIM devices is simply fantastic - the things are quick and easy to use. There is a reason these things are so popular.

and, of course, there is Windows Mobile. There's a lot of complexity there. I'm not a fan, but some people like it.

My advice, if you want a good phone with PDA functionality, Symbian is probably a good fit. If your focus is on messaging applications and you also need a device that functions well as a phone, then look at RIM.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information