Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thinking of N93: would it be fine without GSM850 in S.F.?

Ok, here's the deal. It's either Cingular or T-Mobile, but I still cannot decide. I'm switching off from Verizon (Horrible plans/monthly charges). Service was OK. So now I'm stuck with Cingular or T-Mobile... Now comes the N93..I'm digging the phone and is still considering to buy it when it goes down alittle...but, with what carrier should I go for? Knowing that T-Mobile is 1900mhz and cingular is both U.S. freq's and the N93 only would support the 1900 side....which carrier is still the better choice.

T-Mobile: Cheaper plans but only on 1900mhz (Shared Cingular towers...etc.)
    Cingular: Both U.S. freq's. Alittle bit more pricey on monthly bill, BUT/ N93 doesn't support 800/850. But will that make such a difference?
    OR
    There's better phones out there comparing to the N93 that even hold Quad-Band...don't get the N93......

What would you choose? Any input would be lovely. Thanks!!

if you have any intention on using 1900mhz only phones (meaning, 850 does not exist on these phones), then I suggest you get T-Mobile no questions asked.

T-mobile's 1900mhz around the SF area is pretty good.. and I love my n93!

Both T-Mobile and Cingular coverage in the Bay Area is full of holes, together they offer pretty decent coverage (Cingular users can roam on T-Mobile for now). But if you're dead set on getting a phone that lacks 850MHz band, T-Mobile is your only option -- once the roaming is shut down, Cingular's own (former AWS) 1900MHz only coverage would be awful.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man Nokia better open they're eyes to quadband.... Thats the only thing Motorola has on them!

I would recomend T-Mobile if your getting that phone because of the lack of 850. but I would also recomend getting a friend with TMO to go to your house/appartment and make sure TMO works there first. My cousin has tmo and hates it because the 1 spot on the top of the hill where he lives he doesn't get reception inside his house. I always tell people before getting new service check it out at home and at work. also any other areas you frequent boy/girl friends house.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's disappointing that the N93 doesn't have quadband, given that the N93 ("it") is Nokia's top of the line phone features-wise, its more than premium price, and the fact that its little brother the N73 has quadband.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go to t-mobile's website. They have pretty decent street level coverage maps. ( which doesn't help you wrt. how it would work inside a building in that area, but it's better than nothing.) Also, based on what can be found on t-mobile's website, it seems pretty clear that if you ever plan to go to a place with more trees than people, you'll want 850 band roaming.

If you don't really need VGA video @ 30fps, you may want to consider an N73. ( the N73 is VGA at only 15fps )

What will work best for you largely depends on your video and travel requirements. An E50 with a separate imaging device might make more sense for you. ( if I hadn't run out of pockets, that what I'd be doing )

There's a nokia experience center at stonestown galleria in SF, or so I've been told - you may want to see if they have the an N93 you could hold to see if the heft of it is acceptable.

I vote on T-Mobile for N93, although like some said, T-Mobile in Bay Area is full of holes. Meanwhile, Cingular is adding more 850 MHz GSM tower in Bay Area, so you don't really wanna be stuck with non-850 MHz GSM phone with Cingular.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I live in a hole in SF.

Where I am, the nearest tower is up around 25-26th and Geary. As you travel north, past Lake St, the elevation rolls down towards the Pacific Ocean... and therefore RF goes bye-bye for me.

I have to get up on the 4th floor to grab any Cingular signal. It does not matter if I'm using an 850MHz enabled phone (Nokia 6230b, 6010) or 1900-only (Nokia 5500 Sport, 6310i, 8890, Motorola V60gi, Samsung X820...) It's equally stinky.

In fact, I've been flirting with the idea of jumping over to Verizon. Not having coverage stinks big time. But I don't know how reception is where I am.

If anyone is passing along El Camino Del Mar towards the Legion of Honor on a tourist run, can you pause at 26th and El Camino Del Mar and report back your Verizon coverage? Ha!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information