Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quickoffice v4 for a bargain (BETA) price!!!

FYI, Fellow S60 3rd Edition users, I just downloaded the BETA version of Quickoffice Premier v4Ready (full version) for $4.99. I have no problem with purchasing a beta that won a S60 best enterprise application award and because I hate spending lots of money on an already tight budget. Just buying the N93 almost killed me... The normal price is around $50.00. Their web site states:

We are pleased to announce we will be launching our latest software version, Quickoffice v4, in January '07. In preparation, we are giving a select number of users the opportunity to download the Beta version, at a fraction of the regular price, and tell us what they think. Our latest release recently won the S60 Best Enterprise Application Award and is loaded with compelling new features and upgrades designed to increase your productivity while on-the-go!

And just think, paired up with my Thinkoutside bluetooth keyboard or your Nokia keyboard, office documents are a breeze to compile.

Supports Nokia models 3250, 5500 Sport, E-50, N71, N72, N73, N80, N91, N92, N93.

http://www.quickoffice.com/s60v311/index-v4beta.asp

This software rocks!!!

That is sweet! What a good deal.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bad idea to BUY beta firmware. Either it will be timebombed or functionally limited in some way desigened to make you buy an "offical version".

And I suspect it is already available for free via "unofficial" channels anyway. So why pay money for a beta?

They should quit beign cheap and make proper software at a price people will pay instead of trying to charge for half-baked versions.

skagen,

It is unfortunate that you believe this "Full Version" Beta is not worth paying a mere $4.99. I actually paid for it and just like the software developer stated:
    "We are pleased to announce we will be launching our latest software version, Quickoffice v4, in January '07. In preparation, we are giving a select number of users the opportunity to download the Beta version, at a fraction of the regular price, and tell us what they think. Our latest release recently won the S60 Best Enterprise Application Award and is loaded with compelling new features and upgrades designed to increase your productivity while on-the-go!" Where can one go wrong.

One must not forget, that Nokia has so much confidence in this company that a read only version is already preinstalled for example in the N93 ?The Flag Ship model?.

Furthermore, your comment about ?I suspect it is already available for free via ?unofficial? channels? could be construed that you support piracy. But I know that this is not the case, is it?

Lastly, your comment about ?They should quit beign cheap and make proper software at a price people will pay instead of trying to charge for half-baked versions? is very interesting to say the least. I write this because have you paid or even tried the beta for ?FREE?.
    I have paid for it in full and I have no regrets.

Also, let us keep it real; please don?t knock something before you actually try it. You may actually enjoy it.

I just purchased the beta, downloaded it and tried to install it on my E61, which the QuickOffice site claims is a supported device. It fails to load, indicating "s60_quickoffice_standard_ ml1.sis" is not supported.

Is this the correct Series 3 version? If it is, it looks like the beta needs some work and I didn't need to spend $4.99USD to find out. If the file has a different name, please share it.

I said exactly what I meant: you have to wonder why this odd move instead of puting together proper software and pricing it fairly.

If you are accusing me of something regarding piracy lay it on the table in a manly fashion rather than making vague innuendo.

But what I have noticed since I came over from Windows mobile to S60 3rd is the dearth of useful software, the abundance of overpriced ones - and not surprisingly there doesnt seem to be a healthy software buying market in the among the user base. Things like sales of betas dont exactly raise my hopes on these issues

I'd be more worried about that than making innuendo under your breath.

And how would I "try it"? You have to PAY to even try the beta. That is exaclty my point and the reason why I am knocking it. When I think of how many programs on PC and phone that I have bought after a beta or trial it beggards belief that these guys are so cynical that they would charge you for a beta.

MobileAGBell,

If this helps any, Quickoffice wrote,

For product support, please visit: http://www.quickoffice.com/support/s60/

There you will find FAQs, installation guides and getting started guides.

As you may remember, Quickoffice stands behind every application we sell 100%. Your satisfaction is very important to us.

We appreciate your business, and would also appreciate any feedback you
    might have regarding your experience with our applications.

BTW, so far I am not having any major problems using it with the N93.

Skagen,

Please try to understand, that Quickoffice has already won the confidence of Nokia (a feat that a many companies would love to hold). Therefore, why would they give away software, even if it were a beta version. Once again, Quickoffice wrote: In preparation, we are giving a select number of users the opportunity to download the Beta version, at a fraction of the regular price, and ?tell us what they think.? Our latest release recently won the S60 Best Enterprise Application Award and is loaded with compelling new features and upgrades designed to increase your productivity while on-the-go!"

I am not accusing you of piracy, however, how would you feel if you were an investor or even owned the company Quickoffice and read such: And I suspect it is already available for free via "unofficial" channels anyway. So why pay money for a beta?
    I think it is reasonable to say that one would try to find out if a ?guess? is actually factual.

Yes, the S60 3rd is lacking in the software development department but, let us wait and see what the year 2007 brings with it.

I think this is a good deal IF and only IF the purchase of the BETA guarantees complete and unrestricted access to the final version of the software at no extra charge. I don not see this published on the page anywhere.

Buyer Beware.

So let me get this straight. In your view saying "Why pay money for a beta" is a sign that someone is a pirate? Riiight. I guess we should all be happy to pay money to help companies develop their software.

Paying for a beta is ridiculous business practice IMO. Only Microsoft (there is a paragon of consumer friendly business, right?) has done this.

And guess what? Microsoft did it partly in response to pirates jumping on their Vista betas. That you should even think of calling someone a pirate, because they pointed this precedent out, is a joke. Really. Dont waste my time with any more of this garbage.

So far.....paid beta software is what it has brought. Bravo. With that kind of start, good luck to these folks. They are off at breakneck speed, headed down the wrong path.

And to boot, we now have got shills on the internet calling it a "bargain" to pay for betas.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information