Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cell phone as internet Modem, help needed.

I have been thinking upgrading to a new cell phone but I would like to select one that is the easiest to use an internet modem to my PC just by signing up and add the "Vcast" service ($15 per month); with it I would have unlimited usage both "Vcast" and "Mobile Web". That would be a good deal if one could connect to the internet with it. By linking the phone w/ computer and going through "Mobile Web" feature I could get to a "URL" and enter & reach any web-site. When in range to a broad-band tower I would have a high-speed connection and when I'm not, I still have a
    100+/- kps connection through the old 1x technology. Anyway, accessing the internet through ?Mobil Web? seams the best way bUT the challenge still remains in successively linking a cell, as a modem to a computer and making all this happen.
    There are some older links on this site, giving instruction that would modify an older phone to do this but there seams to be limitation. Is there newer technology/methods that would allow this internet access via cell phone such as the "Datapilot" software/hardware kit; they claim this product would allow this connection with many phones, has anyone tried this? And again If I upgrade to a new phone, which one would be more user-friendly as an internet modem?

Thanks for any help, remoteuser

I am not sure, but I think most carriers will require you to have a tethering package to use as a modem. Otherwise you will be charged way too much money per KB for the data throughput.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yes most carriers do require a thethering package, and Verizon's unlimited is famously limited. Many people have had their service disconnected because they used too much data.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information