Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

GPS Software for s60v3 comparison?

Have you tried using the receiver with a PC or a PPC?

I just picked up a Nokia Bluetooth GPS unit real cheap at CompUSA, comes with a three month trial of Wayfinder, but I was wondering if anyone else was using other software and what are the pros/cons?

I'd like to find one that does traffic updates, that'd be awesome. I don't mind using data in addition to maps, as I have unlimited.

I am under the same 3-month trial for Wayfinder and for the most part is does a good job. What has been most useful is listening to the turn direction with my earpice in. I have had a few issues when I get a call and the GPRS is cutoff on the call. If the call is short, no problem. The downloaded map works fine. However, if you talk at length and the map need a new map download, then you are out of luck. You can download maps on the MyWayfinder site, but it is a bit of a pain to do so.

I am thinking about buying Route66 when my trial is over for this very reason since Route66 comes with all the maps on a DVD, but reading posts make me think I want to wait until it is more mature. Route66 also uses Navteq as their map data which in theory should be better than Wayfinder's TeleAtlas data (European company). The 3D map display on Route66 looks promising.

I have tried Nav4All (free?) and it is a decent GPS and routing application. It does not have all the bells and whistles of Wayfinder though. For example, Wayfinder centers the map as you are moving so that your position is always in the middle of the map. Nav4All only repaints a map after you have left the map on the display. A little annoying. They also claim to use Navteq, but the maps seem incomplete compared to Wayfinder. I will play around with Nav4All some more, but am leaning for Route66.

Hope this helps.

yes very much thank you. Are you using Wayfinder in the US on your E61??

wait for R66 but as their last few emails are telling me it may be a few more weeks for US version

No not yet. I'm not often driving around with my laptop out. I'll take it out to the patio or something tonite and see what happens. Though I don't feel like it's a true test unless I'm moving.

See, I was thinking about that on the way home today. I think I'd rather have two separate units. However, I also can't really see a time I'd use it when I'm not in a vehicle. It'll either be in my truck or my boat. And I like that it's a different battery than my cellphone. Have you used Wayfinder? How does TomTom compare? I'm not going to shell out any money on this I've decided, and thus I like Nav4All MUCH better. At least I'm getting used to it. It's not quite as accurate or visually appealling as Wayfinder, but it is a Java app, after all. I like the different voices I can get. Does TomTom have different language packs for you to choose from? Most importantly, is there a british option? i like the accent.

I can't find the .sis file for Route66 OR TomTom for the US. Anyone got links? I found the Route66 pages but is there no demo? If not, that's gay.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am in Colorado, but I travel for work so I have used it in a half dozen locations. So far so good. I would recommend that you add 'Favorite' addresses to the app, which makes it easier to set a destination when navigating

I've been thinking, someone needs to come up with a completely customisable GPS Nav system. Give the software away for free with a boring english voice. The selling would be voice paks, with accents and personalities.

A few ideas:
    1. east texas accent - hottest of them all
    2. british
    3. australian
    4. deep south
    5. ghetto
    6. french

All these need to be in english, just with the accent.

Also, personalities would be cool, like
    1. 900-number operator
    2. redneck
    3. sarcastic ("didn't like that turn, here's the next one")
    4. insulting (yo *** you missed your turn!)
    5. self-esteem building (you're the best driver ever. you should turn left in 30 feet)

Anyone else got any ideas?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information