Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Buying my first Android - Shopper's hell

Hello people,

I've been wanting to buy an android phone for some time now, but I just can't get to it. The problem is I can't decide myself to buy any phone so I was wondering if I could get some help here.

All I'm asking is for a touchscreen device (no keyboard) with a decent screen and processor.

My problem is that I live in France, and while the hot new devices that are released every-so-often in the US look cool, they don't seem close to being available here.

If I were in the US, I'd defenitively check out phones like the EVO, Doid or Nexus One, but none of them are here yet. Here's a screen of the latest HTC offerings in the "touch" category to show you how sad things are:

I'm ready to spend some money on this, but I don't want to settle for something that is already obsolete of that will be soon. What would you suggest? Are the HTC Desire/Wildfire any good? Should I wait a bit more?

PS: I'm going to Thailand soon, and since I'd rather that the OS be in English than in French, I'm could take something there.

nexus one http://www.google.com/phone

^^ nuff said!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, I'd love to but:

I have the htc hero and really enjoy it. I'm in the US by the way. It does lag but that should be solved by 2.1 which is supposed to come to my carrier in a few days. I believe the desire is similar but has either 2.1 or 2.2 already installed which might be a current choice. My carrier, who does get phones later than the big carriers like at&t and vorizen, tmobile and sprint and we are suppose to be getting the desire in the next few months so you might want that as it has a more current os. I'm very satisfied with the hero and am looking forward to the update.

Grab the Samsung Galaxy S. Thats looking pretty sweet

The HTC Desire is good yes. Until a few weeks ago it was the best phone you could buy in Europe. It has slightly better 3G support than the Nexus One for use outside of the US, so in general you want a Nexus One if you live in the US, or an HTC Desire (which is an almost identical phone) if you live in Europe.

However, the HTC Desire got topped by the Samsung Galaxy S when it was released. The SGS is currently the best Android phone you can buy.

My advice would be to get a Samsung Galaxy S if you can afford it, and if not an HTC Desire.

I'd actually recommend the Desire over the Galaxy, you know that the Desire will see future updates, but Samsung has a history of abandoning their devices. The Desire is pretty much the Nexus One with a bit more memory and Sense, its a very solid device.

I would also recommend the Desire (for our friends "across the pond")

Galaxy s all the way and Samsung said that it will get 2.2 update.

Sent from my Nexus One using Android Community App

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information