Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

so many answers so little of questions

Lets begin palm TX that sat on my buddies shelf collecting dust because said buddies wife had to have.
    once the dust was wiped off and hr's of surfing on the net when I was visiting said buddie it was given to me as a gift, a gift I was not ready for... I instantly ran home, wich I think was there Goal, I found software on the palm site to sink. And started with the cicky click and to make the palm my own. While changing passwords and some settings and messing with it fighting my compute I got lost in some land of networking and Bluetooth, it was years ago and I was new to it all.... it got put on my shelf to collect some more dust. Along came the Droid I began to wonder what the potential this dust bunny had.I am now confused with the sync Processe, and if I can use my Droid (version 2.2) to surf the net send e mails...I spent a few days of Googling my face off and found this form and now over shelled with it...
    What is a hard reset and soft, I've had to push the reset on the back a few times because it seem if I'm not fast enough with the key unlock it shuts down, where do I find safe apps and what can this hand held machine do for me?
    That's it for now. I guess I keep reading forms till my eyes bleed

uh, welcome, I think...

look in the TX forum, you'll find answers to many of your questions, link below:
    Palm TX

Welcome to rabroad, obi_bum_kenobi!

After some editing, courtesy of the Enter key, I think you are asking about Android resets, right?

For most devices a hard reset means wiping the device back to factory state requiring you to load all your stuff all over again. For most devices a soft reset means rebooting the device back to a freshly booted state but with all your apps, data and settings intact.

Following the "I feel lucky" link for "android 2.2 soft hard reset" I found an article over at androidcentral.

One occasion for a reset is an OS upgrade (or downgrade). On my old Palm devices, this involved a painful process of restoring apps either from sd card or via hotsync. On Blackberry, the process was less painful but took just about as long. What was worse on BB OS was that some of my apps refused to come back because they wouldn't work under the newer OS version. I've heard this sort of thing can happen on Android as well.

Then there's my iThings. Going from one version of iOS to another is slow but relatively painless and everything comes back right where I left it including apps, app folders, contacts, games, high scores, wallpapers, etc. Almost Mac like.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Actually, I think he/she is asking about their "dust bunny," which would be the TX.

Reset information from the Palm support site:

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...,case=obj(887))

On Android, there is a settings menu item for factory reset, don't have to do anything like what that odd article on Android Central.

They are both tools. The palm more organization focused, and the droid more net focused.
    If email is your goal then I guess the droid is more suitable .
    I have lots of tools in my shed that aren't that useful to me either since i've never used em .

First things first I apologize for my noobish ways and poor grammer.
    Hook that link did not work.
    My main problem is that the Droid is small and hard to post to places like here I was hoping to use the Droid as a link to the net. I'm aware that the new droids can do this via hot spot but I'm broke.
    So now I fight with my Gf over the use of the Droid to sit and read forms...
    And room what do u mean I thing I'm kind lost on the hole operationg systems and is palm os the same as android os.
    Now I'm off to read somemore!

Link should work now. Forum mis-parsed it.

Palm os is not the same as Android os.

Palm os is designed for small, inexpensive, simple devices and is oriented toward local storage of data with backup by cable to a computer. Palm os struggles with network applications and is not multitasking and has had a history of decreasing stability as it was used on devices that really required multitasking. Palm os was mainly offered on devices made by palm. For a while it was available on Sony and a few other devices (besides just Palm) but it eventually died (as far as new device usage) and even Palm has moved on to a more modern os: webos. The hard (factory) reset procedure for palm os harkens back to antiquity, poking a hole while holding one or more buttons and hoping you get the timing just right. Imagine Clint Eastwood standing over you as you attempt a Zero Out Reset saying in his gravelly voice: "Do you feel lucky?" "Well do ya?" "PUNK!"

Android os is a modern smartphone os that is oriented toward keeping a local copy of data that is stored on google's cloud. Android is used on dozens of devices available on every carrier. More android devices are released every day. The factory reset procedure for a modern smartphone os is almost always a menu item with an "are you sure?" dialog before the device actually gets wiped.

I checked your link and indeed it does work. Wow. What a journey down memory lane. It's been so long since I sat and stared at a Palm logo on a small screen.

I'm finding hooks help page most useful thanks hook for putting that together

Well as usual I don't agree with your sentiment here, but instead of encouraging yet another out of topic thread I will just say:
    Palm hard reset does ask you to confirm before it wipes data, even on the early 1990's Palm devices.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information