Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Teedge

Any kind of alternate education/ homeschooling curriculum based around reading?

I'd much rather self-teach/ read to educate myself.When I was a kid I participated in a Montessori program, and now School seems like a joke.Thanks to all those who replied, I was wondering if one of you could help me design my own well rounded curriculum. Although i am not a religious person myself, I have often considered going into Theology. Having already read the Bible, and the Tao Te Ching, along with the Pali Canon.Thanks again!

teedle

There are many, many home-school curriculum's available, just google and research it. In some states, like Texas, it is acceptable for a home-school to write their own curriculum. You would have to check with your states rules. I have home-schooled my 3 girls through high school and have used a variety of curriculum's for their individual needs. And I also have learned more on my own study than in a classroom, though I love to learn in any format.

!!Jack!!

You could try sonlight curriculum.

Phillies2k8

It sounds like you need to shop curriculum websites looking for curriculum that uses the "Charlotte Mason" method. It is described (along with other methods) here: http://www.illinoishouse.org/styles.htm"Charlotte Mason A Christian based philosophy of education that stresses good literature (rather than textbooks), copying of relevant materials, and dictation. Nature walks are stressed throughout. Structure is crucial and training of good habits begins in infancy. There is no standard curriculum. Many Classical and Charlotte Mason homeschoolers feel their two styles overlap in many areas - so you may want to look closely at the materials available for both."As far as where to do your shopping there are more places than I could name. This page: http://www.arkansashomeschool.org/books.asp Has a list of vendors that you could start with... but there are also many, many others. Good luck!ETA: The history/literature program I use is popular with Classical and Charlotte Mason fans too: TRISMS... http://www.trisms.com/

Philip R

History Odyssey is a Literature based program that covers History, World Literature, Geography and composition (assignments, not instruction)http://www.pandiapress.com/history_odyssey.htmMy 11yr/5th grade daughter is using the level 2 Middle Ages this year. If is a very good curriculum.

Tee-Jay

Sonlight, TRISMS, Worldviews of the Western World...all of these are based around reading, and all are excellent. They just take things from different viewpoints. If you want a Christian overtone, Sonlight and WVWW are the way to go. TRISMS is also great, but is much more varied in the worldview - they give you topics to study and suggested titles, but you choose your own reading list.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information