Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    !!Jack!!

Why are "Pro-Lifers" so against?

why not teach also, abstinence, is another option, and explain to these kids, that abstaining from sex and being a virgin is completely acceptable, and ok too. instead of coming across that sex is imminent and expected from you, here's a condom/take a pill. Kids leave sex-ed class thinking something is wrong with them, if they haven't had sex yet. Why not also give them the truth, and tell them that they can get pregnant, or get someone pregnant, the first time they do it. ANY time of the month.I hear young girls/guys all the time who got pregnant, or got some young girl pregnant, saying, they didn't know it was possible, "We only did it one time", or "I didn't think you get pregnant on your period""No body told me", etc etc.And why not also tell the girls the percentage of guys who get scared and take off and leave you hanging? Or the possibility of having twins, triplets, to take care of alone. Show them a film of a child being born. Play a tape of a bay crying and crying or and a small child throwing a major screaming temper tantrum in the grocery store w/ their teenage dad, like the condom commercial they show in London. Alls I'm saying, is there are alot of other ways to aide sex education, besides just being sure to use protection.

tee.tee

I think children reach maturity at many different ages, and that their parents are the sole judge of precisely when and from whom they should receive sex education.

Phill

I'm not against it!!!!!!! I'm against schools not urging, or at least mentioning to kids, abstinence is the very best. Kids will listen if we will talk.Most kids who get pregnant are having sex for the need of personal love/attention! Also, it's not ok to tell kids if you do get pregnant, just go get an abortion.That is not ok w/ me.That is a private decision to be made by ME and my minor child.Sex Ed has been proven statistically to be a failure.Kids don't use precautions.

Phill T

The "pro-life" movement is made up of folks who care nothing about life, but care a lot about control. They're concerned with controlling people's sex lives, and repressing behaviors that offend their Puritan sensibilities. Religion is about nothing if it isn't about punishments. The obvious "punishment" for illicit sex is pregnancy. Abortion neatly side-steps that punishment, and this is what galls them. Allowing access to effective contraception also avoids punishment. Religion hates the idea that somewhere, somehow, someone is having fun and feeling good about him-or-herself. Religion fears and hates sex and sexuality, not only because it's the one human drive over which it has no control, but because they know if people are having great sex they're not thinking about what religion wants them to think about: God, Jesus, and giving money to the church. When the so-called "pro-life" movement is less dominated by men and old women, when they start lining up to adopt all unwanted children regardless of race, and when they start pushing for comprehensive, truthful sex education, that's when they'll be taken seriously."Abstinence-only" sex education has been a tragic joke. It's exactly the kind of solution religion would come up with: Don't talk about it, don't think about it, don't look at it, and it won't happen! All abstinence-only sex ed has done is increase the numbers of teen pregnancies and STDs. Kids -- and a lot of adults -- need sex education, taught by healthcare professionals, not schoolteachers. We need to stop lying to people about condoms and chemical contraception. Religion needs to understand people are going to have sex, regardless of how much Jesus you throw at them. Most of all, religion needs to grow up, get its mind out of the gutter and stop peeking into people's bedrooms.

!CoolMama!

Complex issue. Sex education used to be the purview of parents, who took the time to instill morals as well. Today there can be no religious training at school and there is little education at home, so there can only be practical training, which does prevent pregnancies, but does little to prevent promiscuous behavior, which is the main cause of disease. You can teach a child how to use a condom, but you cannot teach a child at SCHOOL how to have respect for themselves and others, maintain self - control, avoid dangerous situations, etc. That training is the responsibility of parents, starting at an early age, and many parents neglect that responsibility. Most would rather take sides and debate what a TEACHER should do or not do. They ignore the fact that years ago, pregnancy was a blessing, not a curse, that certain kinds of sexual behavior were deviant not a rite of passage for middle school girls, and that people were interested in building a family, not in just personal pleasure. Both right and left wingers can waste their time advocating or opposing sex education in its various forms, but until they start taking control of their FAMILIES education, they are really a bunch of hypocrites.

!!TWILIGHT!!

Good question. I think these people are from the last century that think people should not talk about sex. We all saw how bent out of shape they got with Obama...when all he was trying to do was to teach young children about touching. This is the 21st Century....these people act like it is the 19th century! Yes, they should teach sex education in schools...to avoid unwanted pregancies...and especially sexually transmitted diseases.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information