Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Nasty PopUp only on PALM GEAR

Has anyone else noticed (and especially if you have pop up filters) that one particularly nasty one is getting through on the PalmGear Site?

When you x-out of everything there is a window remaining. They get increasingly "invasive and nasty." The first is "hey, click here to check for spyware." The LATEST about 20 minutes ago was what appears to be a commandline prompt, scrolling a black and white screen of what SPYWARE or other files are actually ON YOUR COMPUTER. I tried tracing this with McAfee trace and blocking it, and using MSN Messenger stop but neither will work. I also can't configure popupfilter to stop it (contains only a sheet of ALLOWED popups, not "banned" ones.

Has anyone else seen this and who would you contact at PalmGear to stop it? It's invasive and avoiding my filter (and I have latest version) -- and it's only on Palm Gear's site.

I use Pop-UpStopper Professional and have had no problems with pop-ups at all. Excuse me, sometimes I have to disable it to get legitimate pop-ups to appear, like the legal disclaimer when downloading from PalmOne, but otherwise, almost none.

http://www.panicware.com/

Richard

PTL-

Firefox is pretty good about stopping pop-ups. If never encountered one at PalmGear.

Paul,

This just recently happened to me.
    The bad news, the popups might be coming from within your own PC.
    That is why your popup blocking is not working.

Some adware company might have installed a program on your computer without you knowing it.

The popups will appear when you are on certain sites that sell something. Adware got installed on my PC while my wife was looking at sending free greeting cards.

Look in your add/remove programs to see if something strange is in there. If so, try the remove program.

I got rid of mine that way plus I did some manual clean up to.
    It is almost like a virus.

The one that got me was WIN32 BI and was in add/remove.
    Stands for aBetterInternet.com Yeah right!
    I got hit in the past by ShopAtHome. They were a pain.

I have now installed 2 free Spyware/Adware detection and cleanup programs on my PC. One is ad-aware the other Spybot.
    They run like Norton antivirus.

I am on palmgear every day and have not seen your problem.

Herb
    (Been lurking here for 2 months, but joined today)

Take a look Ad Aware.....best adware remover IMHO...

They also have a free version available.

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Yes, spyware/adware -- familiar with it. I run Spybot, SpySweeper AND Meaya PopUp Filter, as well as anti virus and firewall, McAfee Stinger, Reg Cleaner, EmpTemp and EZClean!!!

Guess you can't have enough of these things . . . I did do a spy sweep (run both of them weekly) and I'm clean. Went to Meaya's site and did the popup test, which of course I passed but there's new types every day. I think what I need is a second, newer, popup filter and come to think of it krosenstein may be right -- I messed around with FoxFire and got NO POPUPS. Apparently their anti pop up must be newer than Meaya's!!

I'll look in to adaware but I think the two I have may be enough - I'll try different popup stoppers and see what's "new" there. In the meantime, PalmGear is the ONLY site I've received that popup.

Thanks for the input -- and Herb - welcome!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I use the Mozilla browser, which has anti-popup functionality, and don't have problems with popups, not even on the Palmgear site.

I use Mozilla at home and IE 6 at work and haven't seen any pop-ups from Palmgear. Haven't even seen any attempts get blocked. Paul, I think it might be something in your machine... if I were you, I'd run Ad-Aware. At home, it found a few things Spybot Search and Destroy missed (or didn't know about).

Enclosed is a picture of this little weasel. AGAIN . . . only comes up after closing out a "visit" to PalmGear. I've run 4 programs looking for it, and can't find any adware planted. This is just a popup that gets by my Meaya PopUpFilter, so maybe it's time for another application (I LOVE Meaya's stuff, a lot of which is free and very effective, but I have the newest version and it obviously isn't catching this one.)

Mozilla/FoxFire must have the "juice" to stop it so that's an alternative to think about too; I just prefer IE (for familiarity, I guess).

Take a look at this and let me know if any of you get it. Thanks so much for all the input, but BELIEVE me I've scanned everything for adware (which this is advertising against, and I guess you click to buy THEIRS, while they're in the process of BOTHERING YOU TO HELP!!!)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Doesn?t look familiar, Have Norton System Works 2002 w/ auto updates, Spyware Blaster, and Spybot SD (search and destroy), and now Registry Mechanic, plus I use MailWasher Pro which catches anything Norton misses. If either of them miss something the two spyware pgms haven?t failed me yet. I have gotten 4 worms today alone, and all were caught by the above combo. Best of my knowledge there are no spywares or viruses or worms on my PC. Yes that is wood being knocked that you hear along with an Amen Halleluyah. Let me know if you need any of the above and I can probably either supply a trial version or certainly a Web site.
    Richard

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information