Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

Ist thanks to BILL GAMBLE on rabroad Forum. I have two T3's that were in the trash heap due to digitizer problems that couldn't be fixed. Now both are working almost like new. If your problem is a hardware problem, and it probably is, then you can repair it yourself. I am a total mechanical clutz so if I can do it anybody can. Actually there isn't much harm you can do to the unit. Just lift up the ribbon from its connection and then replace (reseat) it. I did it on BOTH of my T3's. Both are now about 90% back to normal. Again thanks to Bill Gamble's Aug 13, 8:38am post on rabroad Forum.

Here's Bill's link to fix the digitizer:

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...sten_takeapart

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

Thanks for the tip. I must just add however, that if your unit is still under warranty I strongly advise against such action. If would invalidate your warranty, and while it is under warranty you may as well have Palm fix it- then it's at their risk.
    The down side is that you may end up with a refurbished Palm, but I would recommend agaist doing hardware repairs yourself whilst the unit is under warranty, however simple the repair is.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

I would agree with you under normal condition except that I, after 7 years of owning 5 Palms have virtually never had a positive experience with Palm's technical service. Also they have no fix for the digitizer problem. All they do is either "fix" your T3 and have the problem return after you get it back or use the "Advance Replacement" option. Then they send you a Refurb, which in time may develop the same digitizer problem. In short, they don't have a permanent solution for this particular problem.
    For other problems, a refurb or repair when it's under warranty makes sense. Whether it invalidates the warranty, who really knows, but the fix is incredibly easy. Two days ago I had 2 T3's that were worthless to me. Today I have 2 almost perfect T3's.

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

there are also programs out there like digifix (look for on palmgear or freewarepalm.com) that fix it just as good and are not as invasive

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

Trust me!..I and many others have tried digifix, digime, digiyou, and digithem, and every oither remedy suggested on this Forum and on rabroad. Some were marginally successful for a brief time, and some, like me, found none of the programs useful. As far as the fix being invasive, it isn't. As I said in my original post, I have 0 skills with electronics and was able to do the entire procedure in no more than 5 minutes. VERY simple.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

I hear you, and believe me if my Palm was 3 months older I would be ripping the back off as I type, but I see it this way: If I was to take the back of, and damage something in the process, thats my tough luck. Also if I take the back off and it doesn't solve my problem, then I'm up the creek without a paddle- I still have a broken digitiser and I can't ask for a warranty replacement. I don't belive one fix suits all, as software fixes help some. I had A LOT of experience with digitiser problems on my IIIc, and neither software nor hardware fixes would make it go away (believe me, I've tried everything to fix my IIIc).

The only reason I didn't replace my Palm before, is that I didn't want a refurb. But I think I'm going to have to replace it before warranty is out. As soon as the warranty is not valid though, on whatever T3 I have (if it has the problem), I will try the fix, so thanks.

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

DigiMe, DigiYou, DIGI THIS.

I'd personally trust wghandorf and myself, and IIIc, after half a dozen tequilas each, to do a better job than PalmOne - and we wouldn't get it back with scratches -- or worse yet, Mrs. Nesbitt's old returned one as an exchange -- two weeks later!!!

I found out a long time ago, when a mechanic wanted to charge $450 for a new computer for the car, that doing it MYSELF was half the risk and 1/10th of the cost. I opened the glove box, took out the computer box, changed the e-prom and whammo!! Done. $35.00. This doesn't even seem that hard . . . and as Tim Allen says, you'll probably have "a little bag of real important sh** left over!"

GO FOR IT!!

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

I undestand. I resorted to my own fix cuz I had already done the Advance Repl refurb thing, and it didn't help. I just didn't want to spend another $40 dollars on another refurb and still n ot work for the 3rd time. also asdisorganized and as incompetent as the tech svc is, they might not even be aware that I'd removed and replaced the back. I'm not sure hoe they would know since no seal is broken. Anyway take care!

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

$40 to get it replaced? Ok, maybe I will try this! No I'm no sure how they'd tell, but it may require you to be dishonest and declare that you hadn't opened it. There is a special seal that breaks on HP ipaqs so you can tell if it been opened- and the sticker that breaks say "warranty void if seal broken".

PTL- hehe. Yes I do believe we could do a better job using our feet to mend the Palms, whilst running the London marathon in 10ft of snow.
    Maybe I think too highly of Palm, hoping that they'd actually be kind enough to send me a new one. It's just not gonna happen I guess

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Digitizer Fix For T3!!!

Yea, the Advance Repl option is $40, but you do get to keep yours until they send the refurb with a return box for your defective one.....or you can just send it in and they will either repair or replace it. That might be a better option for you cuz you'll save the $40 and may get a refurb....but you'll be without your PDA for a week or so. I just hang in with Palms. I had a lllc for almost 3 years. Later!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information