Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

God, Not Another Screen Protector Thread!

OK, shoot me. This has been visited. As some of you know about me by now, I don't mind spending the money if I get what I'm paying for. Well, here's a screen protector "ditty" for those of you who haven't gone with the "solid" protectors such as Boxwave:

Badger Air-Brush Company (proud to say, English) makes a 2 mil vinyl film called "Frisket", packaged as "Foto/FrisketFilm" and sold at Michaels Crafts Stores (and I'm told Aaron's). 10 sheets, 8.5 x 11", $13.99. That makes 60 screen protectors for landscape T3, more for smaller screens. Website is as below, but I don't know if they have pictures of it:

http://www.badger-airbrush.com/retaillist.htm

1. Thin. Good graffiti response.
    2. EASY to aply and REAPPLY, very few bubbles, none with "scraper." Apply from top and move down, as usual - but it's easier to deal with and MUCH easer to "re-do."
    3. Pretty tough. I use a paste wax on sheets (and stylus) to make it zip along and reduce scratches. This WILL SCRATCH, but no more than other types of sheets.
    4. I got the glossy finish. There is a matte available, which might be tougher and less glare. Very little glare on my gloss ones.
    5. A BREEZE TO REMOVE - this was a big sticking point (HA HA) with the stock Palm ones; you got a "gummy corner" from trying to get the damn thing off. None of that here. They're "Low Tack."

Thinner, slick, few or no bubbles, cost effective. There is a VERY SLIGHT "cast" in coloring (almost bluish-light gray), but I found this acceptable in exchange for ease of application and GREAT screen response - taps can be half as "light" and less graffiti errors, especially when WAXED.

Attached is photo the package since almost NO ONE working at these stores knew what it was - now you will.

After buying the Palm ones and 2 other types, I think this is the best other than the "deluxe $12 whammos" and MUCH easier to replace when they get a little "frosty." A good Hand Glaze/scratch remover will prolong their life to around 4 weeks.

Best of all if you switch PDAs it won't matter - just make new template and keep using what you have left. Good for cell phone screens, too.

ADDENDUM: Now a full day later, and showing scratches from stylus - make sure stylus point is a little "dull" like the one supplied with the T3 - not too sharp. However, it's no more scratched than using the "stock" screen protectors, and it buffs up clear with hand glaze/light duty polishing compound & wax. I'll stick with these. Responsiveness is excellent.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey Paul,

Thanks for the tip on the deal.

Have you tried prepping your screen with Pledge? I was a brave soul and gave it a try. I've never seen a cleaner screen!

The idea is to spray a little bit of Pledge on the screen, rub it in with your fingers, then wipe it with a soft cloth.

It sounds weird but it leaves a very clean screen with a nice feel.

Hey, where else can you get advise like cleaning your PDA with Pledge or buffing your screen protector and stylus with car wax?

This usage was floating around some of the other web sites some time back. It's a good fix and thanks for the reminder PTL.

Egarc - I'd recommend spraying the Pledge onto a cloth and not directly onto the screen. I remember somebody reporting that they sprayed it directly on the screen and got it "under" the tap screen. Pledge is a great product but under the Tap Screen it will cause issues such as "yellowing" and moisture issues that should be obvious.....but some people might think that a little is good therefore a lot must be better.

No I was the first! I was the first! I was I was I was!!

Plus, I wanna be window monitor.

As for the Pledge thing, I've always thought hydrochloric acid* worked GREAT. No damn scratches on THAT screen! HA HA HA.

Legal release:

*Use of hydrochloric or any other form of acid will do irreparable damage to your screen and void your warranty no matter how much to discuss the problem with someone in India.

Do not stare directly at Happy Fun Ball.

Does anybody else from the UK know where I might be able to get something similar (screen protection)?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Frisket is made in England and should be available at any hobby store - their website has a complete store listing in U.S. and Abroad.

Whay's God go to do with it?

Gawd!, might have been a better choice of spelling but PTL believes in the Supreme Being and this board's never been known as being totally PC.

I've searched this thing three times and can't find the word "God" at all.

Oh, I get it -- the TITLE. Well I'll see if I can change that. Didn't mean to insult, impune or mock anyone's religious beliefs. It's just that sometimes when you see a thread on a repeated topic such as screen sheets, you beg the help of a supreme being to help you gather patience. I've amended the title here on the actual "thread screen."

Is that better? At least it's removed on the Thread screen - can't get it off the main board screen entry. Perhaps a mod can go out of his or her way (don't want to be sexist) and fix it . . . .

I certainly wouldn't want to offend ANYONE who might be related to the "other guy" in WHAM. Now if we can just fix the 301 other posts which contain that word . . . . .

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't think you should have changed it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information