Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

First to RECIEVE a T5 - Post Here

I'm already putting on the life vest...

I'm affraid OS6, if it ever sees daylight, will be even worse, at least for a good while.

Paul, although I have given some thinking to the T3, the fact is I don't see much sense in exchanging my TT for something with similar form factor (it's like buying a new same model car just after the midlife facelift) I hardly ever open the slider (thanks to Grafiti Anywhere), and having the oportunity and temptation of a full size screen taking me into using the slider is not so appealing to me. And, having less battery life isn't, either.

Probably it's the fine service my TT has given me through this year what will save me from those turbulent PPC waters (at least in the near future...)!

I was reading the NY Times online and came upon this (you might need to subscribe to NYTimes though.
    Its what people are saying about the T5 Pros/cons

http://cnet.nytimes.com/PalmOne_Tung...eed_4923%0A%09

23% thumbs up to 77% thumbs down on teh T5

mas

I went to read the first 20 posts there...and to be fair most, if not all of them, are obviously coming from people that are not actually USING the device. They all point to the feature shortcomings we know just by reading the specs...

But concerning real performance nobody is talking about there. However, those opinions are giving a clear picture about what is coming to happen to this device in the market.

Sadly, it is also looking as the device that can erase Palm from the market. If the lack of some features doesn't achieve this, the performance problems will.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I finally got my T5 today and have had ZERO problems so far. (I have not tested the calendar bug yet, but there's already an update out for that.) It's been fast, responsive, and great. I'm working on a complete review. The first installment should come later on tonight.

Jim: I'll read that thing right now and thanks for the link. I'm sure I'll agree with most of it - although I'm "an Agendus scoundrel," the Pimlico folks are brilliant and gave "dbScan" to everyone regardless of app usage, to actually "help people!" It's freeware! You have to give them immense credit for that. That scan has helped me and others on here - several times. Having not read it yet, HE MAY ACTUALLY EXPLAIN better than Iambic why AGendus is also crashing on the T5. It'll be interesting.

ADDENDUM: Link takes you to Yahoo Sign-In, and I'm not a member. Not sure I want to bother joining right now but I'm sure it's interesting. I'm on enough "signed in stuff." Thanks for the link though, Jim.

PREVOST:
    I'm not a "slider guy" either; I use TealScript and use the slider only for occasional Agendus/spreadsheet use. But that's my point - landscape when you want it, otherwise smaller profile.

You've seen my posts about the "mystery app" coming soon (NOW I'M GETTING impatient along with the rest of you - I've been chatting it up for 2 weeks now . . . .) so I'll fill you all in a little more RIGHT NOW: It will essentially give ANYONE with a T3/OS5 256MB or MORE of virtual RAM. The T1 and T2 aren't covered yet, BUT WILL BE and that's the "release delay."

This, along with freeing up 7-10MB of flash for apps and never losing them after a hard reset - plus CONSTANT BACKUP on the 256MB of virtual, will make the T3 MUCH MUCH better than the T5, and no bugs. It's not like you're "sacrificing" WiFi, as the T5 doesn't have it either. You'll still have the voice recorder and a METAL CASE and smaller profile, but landscape when you want it.

There comes a jumping off point everywhere, I believe, with Palm users. Some guys won't give up the M515 and their hacks. Some jump off into OS5 (early version) and skip the hacks but have more power and brighter screen and more memory (that would be me).

Others jump on every single new model and expect the "new Cadillac." It is plain the T5 isn't and I'm sorry for the negativity but I knew that from the start. Yes, Prevost, I could tell from the specs. Obviously, having read the specs, I didn't shell out $400 and hope like hell the specs were wrong. That would have been foolish. If we're beta-testing we should be paid for it, not charged.

I couldn't be HAPPIER with P1 up to this time - the leap from M505 to T3 was a good one -- but I skipped TT & T2. Now it is painfully obvious that P1 has the SECOND TIME (the T3 being the first) RUSHED a release - and now they're rushing entire operating system changes. I'm loyal to a point, but if Rolls Royce start using lawnmower engines with a supercharger, even the most loyal of RR fans wouldn't buy THAT, either. I have two big problems: I don't like being told what's bundled in ROM, and I especially don't like the bad-mouthing of Brayder regarding flash, when they (P1) release a model that "sort of has it" and we're all supposed to jump. I wonder if you have any control over what's in THAT ROM -- as Jim points out with the possible OS5.4 bugs -- developers aren't going to want to FIX P1's PROGRAMMING errors with their own software!! Hell, it was a flash chip problem that caused the JackSpratJackSafe problems in early T3 betas -- not JackSprat/JackSafe itself.

Imagine if Datebk5 or AGendus has to be rewritten to "sculpt around the OS problems.' Does that mean every app downloaded by any user will be bloated by another 200k just to fix a model they don't have? Will there be a different "T5 version?" Now expand that by all the developers and all their products.

Nightmare, huh? P1 could be effectively increasing everyone's net application size (x number of apps!) by 10-30% just to fix THEIR ERRORS. This is very, very bad. I'd rather concentrate on the positive AND stay loyal to PalmOne; that requires I stick with the T3 and a spare, and that's what I've decided to do.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you mean the link to cnet posted by Jim? I opened it right easy. Could it be that it was possible for being browsing with IExplorer???

No, I posted the link to the Yahoo DateBk5 group. You do have to sign up to read the messages but it's worth it. You'll learn a lot about the ins and outs of the Palm OS just by reading CESD's replies. Not to mention that DateBk5 has a developer that actually answers questions...

OK! On Jim's kind authority and words of wisdom, I will "bite."

How do I sign up with the Pimlico/Datebk5 group? I know TealPoint also has the "Yahoo forum/group thing," so I'm familiar with that sign in procedure. Yahoo I know. Pimlico's "club" I don't.

There was no link on which to click and join, only "research your memebership."

If you'll be so kind Jim, I'll follow up and "sign on" with the Datebk5 crew if you can provide a link to "where." THANKS!

Prevost:
    I looked at all the reviews just to get a feeling of what most people were looking for, and not necesseraly the performance of the actual PDA. Perforamnce has always been second to features.
    We have all known that from the get go. Technology will always move forward and performance will catch up.

Bottom line for a new Palm PDA to loose some features and not add new ones seems to be the problem (flash memory is not a feature that is 1)understandable to the common people. 2) there are programs that can do this when you have a 1GB card for $77.00).

mas

mas

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information