Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Tungsten T5 - Post Here (Part 2)

Posted by XeonRebel in thread "Tungsten T5 - Post Here (Part 1)"

im just curious: with this excitment that tt5 has caused, good or bad, i was thinking:

if you take away the bigger screen and more memory factor (that last which i dont know if its going to represent a huge leap in palm pda's), i was thinking that zire 72 seems to actually be better in some aspects against tt5. you all know the specs of zire 72, so no need to repeat them in this thread. i also forgot the processor speed factor (312 vs 416), but it doesnt seems like a BIG improvment (if tt5 were 500+, well, thats something)

what d u think?
    thankss

by the way, a question for kimH: i was looking at the specs of that vga Hp PPC. what do u think of dell x30? i liked dell's benchmark results more than hp's (though it clearly says that vga needs or uses more processor power). i dont know if the difference is that big in practice (cause a benchmark can throw a lot of fireworks, but it doesnt necessarily means that this product is better than the other one)

thanks again

xeonrebel

Thanks mhamann!! Much better!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Think I've found my dream PDA: The Dell Axim X50.

Check out this link: http://plutoniumshore.com/BBSpics/Ax...imX50-X50v.pdf

Dual display option...drool...on the X50.

As for the X30...seen one of those and think the PDA is WAY too big. Might as well carry around a laptop However for price/options/performance it's impossible to beat.

The X50 is causing quite a riot so far...should be shipping this month.

Advantages right off as far as I'm concerned:

1. Cradle holds 2 batteries, ready to go
    2. Variable power 624/520/416
    3. 128 MB OR 64MB Intel "strataflash" (!!)
    4. Voice Record!
    5. Compact Flash and SD (typical, but GREAT)
    6. 6 oz!!
    7. ONE YAR WARRANTY Standard, 3 year extended available with next-day business return

Pretty impressive - now if I can solve the "Docs2Go is better" thing; I'd like to see what Excel sheets look like (I'll look for screengrabs, or someone post one here) and how easy "synching them" is.

But man alive, I love my T3. AARRGH!!! Well, at least all isn't lost if OS6 isn't great. Depends how long two T3s take to break and whether I end up having been a "nellie" for worrying about OS6. For all I know 85% of the apps will work and my worries were for nothing.

Still, it's nice to know what's out there. Good find kimh - as usual.

im drooling over the x50v!
    just f. impressive!.....
    i like the fact of 3d capabilities. and i dont mean software enabled capabalities but hardware accelerated 3d,

to be honest, i dont know those pocket word, excel, etc...but i can tell you that docs2go its a must.
    microsoft should really make better ports of those office programs.

by the way, any idea of how much will x50v cost?

and, hehe, another question kimH: what d u think of 3.7 inches of x50v vs 4.0 inches of hpVGA?

thankss
    xeonrebel

I have some thoughts about the screen sizes:

1. The smaller screen does not require as much power and thus may extend the battery a little bit.

2. The larger screen is good for reading and might reduce the amount of required scrolling.

3. There is not much difference between 3.7" and 4". However, I have noticed that some devices with larger screens are easier to view outdoors, depending on how good the backlight is. Reflective and transflective screens are good.

I have a couple of XL and Word documents I simply "dragged" onto the PPC virtual drive from my desktop to the HP 4155 and opened/edited/viewed without any problems. Not sure where the concern comes from regarding Office compatibility issues I guess possibly before I was "assimilated" by PPC they had issues with M$ Office from desktop to PPC

As far as the hpVGA I've heard very mixed feedback regarding the touch panel navigator button. It's the same tech found on most laptops and can be frustrating if you are not used to it. From what I hear is that gaming is a nightmare on it. Since these devices have 3D acceleration I'm excited about gaming potential and would prefer "solid" fourway buttons. Don't think the size 3.7 inches VS 4.0 inches would be that visualy noticeable as mentioned above. I would have jumped on the hpVGA but want to avoid the touchpad controller like the plague.

As soon as the X50 is shipping I'm on it. Rumors on prices I've heard is $349 for the the basic, $449 for the "middle" ware and $549 for the high end. Only the high end model will have VGA support with all the goodies.....and $549 is not bad for everything and the kitchen sink.

If you guys want I can post some feedback on the X50 once I get one.
    KimH

Dell X50's are now available!

$499 for high end.
    $463 (odd) for entry level.

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/prod...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Ordering now

Update: Aaargh - shipping date 11/17

Reviews on the X50 are streaming in:

http://www.anandtech.com/news/shownews.aspx?i=23174

KimH

The first palm I saw was the III, and I thought that was a nice product. I then started looking at palms, and pocket pc's. Years later a friend showed the m130. I was hooked, and bought it right away. Well palm lied a little on that one. Then came the V series. I guess the point I am trying to make, is no one had programs that were os5. Now os5 high rise and so on. Well when, and if os6/cobalt comes out, it will be the same. Very few programs, then they will be all over the place. As far as the T5, it is now listed in the support section on palmone. May be the T5 came out too soon. Palmone is always asking for comments/serveys. Do they read them? I know they look at the fourms. The T5 is a step in the right direction, but we all would liked to have seen a better top end product. May be with treo 700 or the cobalt. Kind of makes you want to wait. Thanks for the air time, Russ the guitar picker.

These are supposed to ship until around mid-November. This will give me time to decide and since it appears that with PPC 2003 SE software that you can view native word and excel.

Perhaps P1 will surprise us and announce some whiz bang device that will top the T5.....but since they haven't shipped the T5 yet, as of yesterday at least, I think P1 should be listening to these forums and recall the debacle that they created when the announced the M500 series and it fell on its face.

PalmOne: don't release a device until you have sufficient quantities to ship. Don't pre-order a device until you have sufficient quantities to ship.

If HTC can make a Dell X50v why can't you follow suit and ask them to build you a similar device. For the same price as a T5 you can get an X50 that has both an SD slot and CF slot (sounds like a 160mb internal drive) and a replaceable battery and BT plus WiFi. For another $100 you can get all of this plus a true VGA screen....makes me wonder.

And PalmOne, you should wonder why I cancelled my order for the T5.

You have until mid-November to wow! me. Othewise, I may have to become a PPC convert.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information