Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Documents to Go in ROM

O.K.

Holy Smokes! I did it!! Threw everything into Flash!!!

Now.....

How about those pesky little files:

SS_P2P
    WP_P2P
    DXTGAttacment Plug-in
    DXTGMail Plug-in

Do you suggest putting those in if everything else is in there?

Cheers,

Syno

Documents to Go in ROM

Lol. Great for you. You might want to leave some extra space if there are any apps in the future that requires your space. If that's not necessary then I guess you can put 'em in.

Documents to Go in ROM

O.K.

So bottom line ...............

Those extra files are A-OK to put into Flash? (They don't add that much more).

Cheers,

Syno

Documents to Go in ROM

Good Afternoon,

Hoping you can help me out ASAP!!!

I think I may have done something very bad!!!

I used JackSprat to delete a bunch of built-in's on my handheld (Tungsten T3).....more specifically: I removed / deleted=>

Calendar
    Contacts
    Memo
    Tasks

I did this because I have (respectively):

DateBk5
    PhoneMagic
    MemoPLUS
    ToDoPLUS

But now I see today that my conduits (for the Palm Desktop) have nothing to sync up to!!!!

Am I just completely screwed or what?

I DID use the backup feature of JackSprat but have already used ALL of the space saved with JackSprat and JackFlash.

Is that the only option though? Complete restore?
    If so ....... sigh ..... how do I go about doing it?

Thanks,

Syno

Documents to Go in ROM

It appears that the older conduits (i.e.- DateBook, Address, To-Dos, and Memo Pad) seem to work?? I guess if I have to, I could resort to this method ....... although I REALLY don't want to.

I tried re-installing the Palm Desktop. That isn't it.

I don't see any so called "stubs" created by JackSprat (although they are evidently suppose to remain hidden anyhow.

Please ........ any advice?

Cheers,

Mike

Documents to Go in ROM

Yes, what you did was a bad thing. The four new PIM's, even if you don't use them, have associated databases that are used by the four replacement programs. Luckily for you, all four of your replacement programs create mirror databases in the classic Palm format so you can use the classic conduits to hotsync. Right now, using the classic conduits isn't a problem because none of the replacement programs use any of the fields from the new PIM programs. At some point, they will all be upgraded to use the additional fields, particularly DateBk5 and Phone Magic. The new task and notes applications are little changed from the originals so they are less critical in terms of upgrades.

You can continue along now using the old conduits but upgrading is going to cause problems in the future. You can do a restore from the JackSprat backup now or wait until you have to because you want ot use a new version of one of the replacement programs that needs the new databases.

Documents to Go in ROM

Son of a .................... !!!!

Too bad you can't "see" what's in the JackSprat backup ........then maybe I could restore just the Calendar and Contacts PIM's ....... not possible, huh?

Thanks for the ......um, bad news.

Syno

Documents to Go in ROM

Well .........

Here's what PalmOne has to say about the issue (and I explained it to them just as I explained it to you ......so there should be no confusion).

They are incorrect aren't they?? Do they even know their product? Or are they right and I'm just missing something??

Here's what they said:

Dear Syno:

Thank you for contacting palmOne Technical Support. This is Rolando and I will be assisting your email with regard to the PIM you?re asking so that you could re-install what you?ve accidentally deleted.

Syno, with regard to your issue, you need installing the Palm? Desktop software because the PIMs are in there. After installing, you need performing HotSync? so that your data would sync to your computer. If you don?t have the installer, download it from our web site:

http://www.palmone.com/us/support/do...414_legal.html

Installing Palm Desktop

Shut down all your currently running applications. Disable any virus scanning applications that may be running. Virus scanning applications usually are visible as tray items in the lower right corner of your Windows Start bar.
    Start the installer:
    ? From a web download: Double click on the handspring.exe or Palm.exe file.

The Setup Wizard will guide you through the installation process. If Microsoft? Outlook? is installed on your computer, you can choose to synchronize with either Palm Desktop or Microsoft Outlook.
    We hope this issue has been resolved to your satisfaction. A Customer Satisfaction Survey will be emailed to you very shortly. Please take time to provide us with your feedback about this support experience, as it will help us in our on-going effort to continually improve our services.

Documents to Go in ROM

Well now!! ???????

Someone suggested that I use Filez to look at things (instead of TealMover). Here is what I found!!!! ....................

In black colored letters:
    Name: Calendar-PDat_appl_a68k
    Size: 84b, 0 recs.

In GREEN colored letters:
    Name: CalendarDB-PDat
    Size: 585404b, 4701 recs.

Name: CalendarLocationsDB-PDat

Name: Contacts_PAdd_appl_a68k

Name: ContactsBDIndex-PAdd
    Size: 8868b, 366 recs.

Name: Contacts DB-PAdd
    Size: 676608b, 1687 recs.

Name: Memos-PMem_appl_a68k

Name: MemosDB- PMem
    Size: 79948b, 201 recs.

Name: Tasks-PTod_appl_a68k

Name: Tasks-PTod
    Size: 5077b, 51 recs.

These don?t appear to be in Flash.
    ROM box is checked in the upper right corner of Filez.
    There are NO attributes checked off in Filez for any of these.

So, they APPEAR to be there. It least it looks like it.

What do I need to look for (as to why they may not be working)? ?????if you don?t mind.

Cheers,

Syno

Documents to Go in ROM

Syno,
    No, Palm does not know what they are talking about. Rolando probably has no idea what JackSprat does. Reinstalling the Palm desktop, as you've already seen, will not install ROM applications on your Palm. They are idiots, as usual.

What you're seeing in ROM is that the databases for the four NEW PIM's still exist. That's good. What you're also seeing is that the applications that use these databases don't exist, since they are all 84 bytes with 0 records. That's bad. No applications means the data won't sync using the new PIM conduits. The data is orphaned without an application to read the data. You should also see files like AddressDB in green. These are the classic Palm PIM databases and will still work because the four replacement applications will use them and can use the classic Palm PIM conduits.

My advice in my earlier posts still stands. Use the replacement apps and don't worry about it until you need or want to upgrade to newer version of the replacement apps that use the new PIM databases. You will then need to reinstall the ROM image. Do it now or do it later but you'll have to do it at some point.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information