Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Documents to Go in ROM

Your such a "downer" Jim!! ........lol

Seriously, I appreciate your input though. No chance that the kind folks at Brayder would be able to supply me with the "stubs" that would work, 'ey?

Thanks again Jim,

Syno

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Documents to Go in ROM

I'll keep this brief so as not to offend you Syno . . .

I've held off "weighin' in here," frankly because I was taught "if you can't say something nice, . . . ."

My recommendation would be restore the ROM image and never touch JackSprat again. This thread started with getting rid of a dupe copy of Docs2Go (which was my reasons initially for spratting my T3), and all of a sudden you've deleted PIMS. I can't, frankly & with all due respect, imagine ANYTHING more stupid, other than perhaps throwing your T3 off a roof and using an Etch-A-Sketch.

Jim is absolutely correct on two things:
    1. The moron at P1 DOES NOT know what he or you are talking about.

2. You'll have to restore it sooner or later. I'd opt for sooner. Why you deleted the PIMS is beyond me; there are much more "deletable" things like (first and foremost: LANGUAGES), then in order: Welcome, SplashScreen, RealPlayer ( (based on whether it was included), QuickTour, Kinoma (based on whether it was included).

Since you've posted several times on other topics in the last day alone, this doesn't appear to be slowing you down much - I see you're already off to Java WebSphere world. Please be careful there - that's another minefield of "crash during hotsync" madness, occasionally even when uninstalled. You might consider doing a SEARCH on here before undertaking major changes, especially with OS 5.2 or greater. JackSprat is a powerful app, and has come recommended only with many cautions on this forum and others, along with instructions from Brayder. I hope you used the latest PAID FOR version of Sprat by the way, or restoring your ROM image may permanently ruin your T3. I sincerely hope you used the latest version or what you have done is probably irreversible. You could also, at any time now, suffer the "white screen of death," if you used an older version.

Sorry to be the bearer of more "downer" news, and I'll apologize if this seems harsh - but what were you thinking, son? Anything that gives you the power to alter the ROM gives you the power to screw it up; in the case of the T3 there were problems up until the latest Sprat beta. I know. I had to reflash mine. Brayder can not give you the correct "stubbies," as you can not selectively restore/reflash a ROM. I'm afraid at this point it's all or nothing - and providing you have the correct version and CAN RESTORE the ROM - I'd leave it there and give JS a pass.

Documents to Go in ROM

I'll keep this brief so as not to offend you Syno . . .

Geezz.....glad you didn't expand on it, then I may have been offended!

I've held off "weighin' in here," frankly because I was taught "if you can't say something nice, . . . ."

..........and I never thought something like this would have come from you.

My recommendation would be restore the ROM image and never touch JackSprat again. This thread started with getting rid of a dupe copy of Docs2Go (which was my reasons initially for spratting my T3), and all of a sudden you've deleted PIMS. I can't, frankly & with all due respect, imagine ANYTHING more stupid, other than perhaps throwing your T3 off a roof and using an Etch-A-Sketch.

The documentation clearly states (as well as several other well respected follks on this forum) that "stubs" are left and you may delete the main applications.

Jim is absolutely correct on two things:
    1. The moron at P1 DOES NOT know what he or you are talking about.

We agree on this ..........

2. You'll have to restore it sooner or later. I'd opt for sooner. Why you deleted the PIMS is beyond me; there are much more "deletable" things like (first and foremost: LANGUAGES), then in order: Welcome, SplashScreen, RealPlayer ( (based on whether it was included), QuickTour, Kinoma (based on whether it was included).

Simply looking to maximize space and wanted to do it in one big "swoop" after reading the documentation and speaking with several others ........ BTW: I did delete all the other crap too- I only decided to do the built-ins while I was in there because it was clear at the time that "stubs" would be left behind.

Since you've posted several times on other topics in the last day alone, this doesn't appear to be slowing you down much - I see you're already off to Java WebSphere world.

I'm not going to sit here and "mope" about it ..........look for any fix if possible (by pooling the audience) and move on. I THOUGHT at least some of my posts were helpful (although I know that the majority are more inquisitive)

JackSprat is a powerful app, and has come recommended only with many cuations on this forum and others, along with instructions from Brayder. I hope you used the latest PAID FOR version of Sprat by the way, or restoring your ROM image may permanently ruin your T3.

Still haven't decided if I'll do that yet .......may use the old conduits until I have to stop. Who knows how long that could be? Besides, lord knows you don't want me posting even more about how to restore.......BTW: it was paid for quite some time ago. I give the authors the respect of purchasing if I'm going to use it.

I sincerely hope you used the latest version or what you have done is probably irreversible. You could also, at any time now, suffer the "white screen of death," if you used an older version.

Yep! Seen that screen before. In fact..........there's probably a post on here from me about it .......lol

Anyhow, trying to keep my sense of humor about me even reading through your harsh reply. Thanks for the input. Sorry for the way you feel. Yep......it was stupid but, what I thought was a calculated risk. I appreciate your replies in the past and look forward to using this forum in the future (as I highly respect the experts here). Perhaps I will try to crank it down a notch for you???

Take care Teal

Documents to Go in ROM

Syno,

I see you've gotten many of the same type of responses that I had already given you on the DateBk5 group. I really do think that deleting the PIM apps was foolish without asking specifically here if this was a good idea. Remember your post about Real Player, where you were looking for user wisdom? Deleting PIM apps with JackSprat really requires some user wisdom before you do it.

In your defense, I will say the Brayder instruction are somewhat misleading. The PIM stubs they are writing about are stubs for the classic PIM apps. You are lucky to be using four replacement apps that use the classic databases and can use the classic stubs so you can still hotsync. If you were using a replacement app that used the new Palm PIM apps, you'd have no choice but to do an immediate restore and hoped it worked. The only time I'd even think of deleting the PIM's on a newer Palm like the T3 is if you were using something like KeySuite, which uses its own set of databases and conduits and could care less if the Palm PIM's exist. Given the relatively small size of the PIM's, I'd still leave them alone.

I'm sure you think Paul is being harsh in his response but he really is an expert with JackFlash/JackSprat, probably the best on this forum. You have posted a lot of messages, and that's fine, but it's important to remember that some questions are relatively trivial and others may determine if you end up with a dead Palm. WebSphere is cool but I would have asked about Sprating important things like PIM apps before I tried to get WebSphere to work.

Documents to Go in ROM

PalmOne Conduits up and running again ........ Thank you Brayder Technologies !!!!

http://www.brayder.com

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information