Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

New PalmOne units "noisy"?

This seems to happen on only units with a 320x320 resolution or higher...but that doesn't explain why your T3 didn't exhibit this behaviour. How long did you own it?

Believe it or not, they're nearly pushing it as one. They say it's "normal"

I bought my T3 directly from Palm the day after it was released for sale and it arrived on Oct 8th, 2003, according to my Palm Calendar entry. I use it pretty heavily every day, to where I have battery chargers at work, in my car, and at home. Also, I got the PowerToGo sled, just in case. (That WiFi card drains the battery pretty quickly in the T3.) ... I just now fired up the T3 and there is no noise. I tried adjusting the lighting across the entire range and it remained quiet. My son's Zire 72 is also quiet, as is my Treo 650, both of which have 320x320 screens. I don't recall any noise from relatives', friends', and co-workers' Palms either. Maybe I'm just lucky ... or deaf!

OldBlue

Hopefully the former

If there is, indeed, no screen noise after nearly two years, then I guess I just have to make sure I get a unit that doesn't have the noise in the first place!

In my list of Palm devices owned, I forgot to include my Tungsten TT, which I bought after my m505 and before my T3. I sold it to a co-worker and saw it today while at work. The TT also has a 320x320 screen. I asked my co-worker if I could check it for noise. There was no noise.

OldBlue

I have not noticed any squealing noise from my T3. This is probably because my T3 has a Sony screen.

I read a while back that Palm was using different part suppliers for screens installed on the Tungsten devices. Some were being supplied by Sony and some were obtained elsewhere. I read that you may tell if the device has a Sony screen by the number of lights you can see through the gap along the bottom edge of the screen. My Sony screen has 4 visible lights. The slider has to be in the open position to see them.

Ahh...interesting - thanks, I'll look at that closely next time.

Yep, it's the LCD. Most LCDs make this noise when on. I have a PSone LCD modded into my computer and it emits a pretty high frequency noise. But isn't noticable until you bring your ear actually touching the screen.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...o/Set56_01.jpg

Same thing with my Zire 71, I have to have my ear touching the screen practicly to hear the "squel". But by all means, it's impossible to hear in normal conditions.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information