Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Rumor: Palm buying PalmSource

Report: Palm planning buyback of PalmSource

Stock in operating system provider PalmSource has risen 20% in the last three days on rumors that Palm Inc. plans to buy back the struggling software company. Palm and PalmSource originally split in 2003, creating seperate hardware and software companies, though allegations of sweetheart deals between the two have persisted. Shares of PalmSource have been in decline almost continuously for over a year, resulting from the loss of a number of licensees, a lack of profitability, the debacle surrounding the company's Cobalt OS, and continuing loss of marketshare to Windows based devices. PalmSource's stock currently stands at $9.60 a share, up from lows close to $7.50 several days ago.

http://www.engadget.com/entry/1234000290056433/

Thanks for the info. I hope this rumour may prove to be true. Yes, having PalmSource licencing out PalmOS to many manufacturers would drive innovation in terms of the macines that PalmOS runs on, but quite frankly I fear without such a merger, PalmOne and probably PalmSource too would be firmly in the history books in the not too distant future. Just my feelings. Interesting rumours anyway.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The PDA street headline today says that PalmSource has been sold to a Japanese firm called Access.

Personally, I hope the purchase will give the Palm OS a much needed boost. We'll have to wait and see what happens, now that PalmSource has some new blood in the company.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

dwinget said: I hope the purchase will give the Palm OS a much needed boost.

Absolutely. At this rate corporate CPR might be in order. With a little luck the Japanese (who are FANTASTIC EMPLOYERS and as a result will hire REAL customer service techs!) will buy the "other half" as well . . . and then we'll get better customer service, hardware and OS -- this dreadful wait for decent Palm equipment that's back to "cutting edge" without bugs will be over.

This says a lot about their "pulling the Clie" some time back. They probably knew then this was a broke-dick dog in need, and waited for the right time.

I share in dwingets optimism!

Hmmm yes. I'm thinking this is pretty good news. Would agree about them buying the "other half" too, except I'd then be saying goodbye to my dream of working for PalmOne in Santa Clara. Working for PalmOne in Tokyo doesn't have the same ring to it, but I guess Tokyo's nice enough...

The reason I made the comment "fantastic employers," is twofold:

1. I worked as a consultant for very large Japanese company at one time, briefly for about 6 months. The whole "work ethic" thing is different with the REAL genuine "team spirit." I had a marvelous time.

2. Honda put more Americans to work than the "big 3" auto makers combined some years back, and every Accord is now made in either S Carolina or Alabama (can't remember which). They opened a huge facility in Torrance CA and created thousands of jobs. This whole "trade deficit" thing is nonsense. There is every reason to believe that they would leave the Santa Clara facility intact - you can still come here and I'll have coupons for sushi, Starbucks and a tanning salon ready for you!

hehe. Funnily enough, I realised the same thing upon reflection. My comments were only half serious, I believe, (I don't think I'll ever make it with the whole US citizenship thing!) but I was nevertheless being....well, dense. It must have been a very hard days work...oh wait no that's everyday

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information