Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Palm Annouces the T/X and the Z22

Ouch - forgot the T3 was 400mhz. It was a screamer but not too good on battery life and I'd love to have one on the 650. Thanks Old Blue for the reminder. Let's see two years old and we are going backwards with a 312Mhz......another nail in the coffin?

As to why the 500HP......because you can.

Good point regarding the lack of processing capabilities as being partial driver for the lower speed of the 11g.

Can you say Treo for Windows? Looking better all the time.

And since Jeff Hawkins is busy working on the third market for Palm, lets see what he develops that's not either a PDA or Smartphone device and then I'll pass judgement as to the early departure of the PDA or not.

Just because you "can" does not mean that you "should." ... to paraphrase Jeff Goldblum in "Jurassic Park"

OldBlue

Yeah, I knew the T3 was "400," but didn't want to say anything. ACTUALLY, it "honest clocks" at around 375-377 (at least mine) but it's kind of a moot point anyway since there aren't any more T3s.. You've got 312 and that's that. Yes, slower clock speed and last generatoin WiFi - but HEY!! It's built in! Good news: If Old Blue can overclock his T3, I'm sure you could tweak the Tx a tad up to say, 360 - and be roughly in the same place without damage.

I say Old Blue and I have about 4 triple-espresso breves each, swing down and pick up Moose Man - head out on 10 East and grab Egarc - all bets are off then. We'll march in to Palm, ask for SellOut Boy himself, and ask some questions. Last one arrested's a sissy. Thank God Moose kept all those bailbondsmen phone numbers in that "contact history." Always said he was the smart one . . . . . damned Agendus. It might just save our lives!!

OK, couple of questions. I believe this forum has a "for sale/ad" section, so there's a 90% chance my "special T3" is going in there. Before I do that, however, I have a couple of questions.

1. Did we all decide we hated the LifeDrive? Other than size, what were the beefs again, in view of the new TX being out? Slowness opening apps and what else? Is the WiFi (brochure wise, at least) better or a newer version? I don't mind the "heft;" I'm comparing the LD with the TX. The $499 seems high to me since I won't use 4GB, but I wanted to check here with "you lot" first!

2. Is the T5/TX seen as a "virtual drive," a la Card Export since it's USB? I seem to remember the "virtual 256MB internal card" had that function on the T5 - but the TX doesn't have that. You would still need Card Export to "see" the SD Card - what about "internal memory," such as putting a .txt/.doc/.xls right in there without hotsynching? This is rather important to me. TealDoc will "find" any .doc files - but I'm not sure about Docs2Go unless it's on the SD Card.

3. OS 5.4.9 with the TX is a mystery so far, I know -- but did anyone find any apps that were NOT 5.4 compatible? I think "most" worked, and even Agendus 9 is compatible now, right? So I shouldn't have any problems with TomCatalog, DateDifference or ESPECIALLY MobileDB4? Those are important to me - the others I know work or I wouldn't miss them.

I'd appreciate any input, and I'm rather excited about this. Between an Averitec laptop from Sam's Club for $899 and this TX for $299, I'd be leaps and bounds better off - especially if the USB connector sees the T5 as a virtual drive. I know that's the case with the LD.

4. Is the USB cable a charger as well, when connected to the PC? I;'d obviously need a car charger with USB - that's a MUST - but do you get a "charger cradle" with it or just the USB cable?

5. Bad news regarding "Minimo" and Palm OS:
    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=301516

Was hoping "Mini Firefox" would work. Rats. Are there ANY alternatives to Blazer, which apparently is REALLY ironically misnamed? Remember - I'll be "Wifi-ing" for the first time and just don't want too much "sticker shock" if it looks like an Etch-A-Sketch. I'm really considering the "permanent landscape/T3 viewing area with permanent graffiti area" as the big attraction here.

That should do it. Based on any answers to any or all of these, I think Palm have sold a TX to an "ex-Jack SpratFlasher." Sad day in one respect - I loved "pushing the limits" with Brayder stuff!! No more smoke plumes over Southern Cal, I guess. sniff . . . . . .

PS - spoke to Tealpoint and TealBackup should be NO PROBLEM. So there's SD Card backup. Thank God. The TealMover fix (alrady done!) was related to a Z22 "glitch," not a TX problem.

The TX USB can not charge the unit from a PC without connecting the power adapter. The review I read answered my basic questions on the TX. Link as follows:
    http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=8140

I agree with PTL - at least the TX promises to be a good replacement if ever my two-year old but still very reliable T3 conks out.

Cheers!

You might want to try Xiino 3.4E at www.mobirus.com as an alternative to Blazer.

Thank you, Basho. $29.90 is fine, if it works - I just hesitate to purchase software and especially a browser when a website can't spell "horizontal" or a few other simple words. English may be a 2nd language that's fine and welcome -- but compounding the problem is that they deal with Handango - yikes - swore I'd never get anything through THEM again.

Thanks for link - I've bookmarked in case I get the TX.

"Holizontal", my goodness! This is unforgiveable on a commercial website, when spellcheckers are readily available. Granted the development team is most likely different from the marketing team, but it does not bode well for the company's commitment to quality.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information