Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Copying eReader (doc) file to SD card

When you use the menu item from within eReader to "Copy" a (doc) file to the SD card where does it go to on the SD card? I cannot find it with FileZ. Nor can I find it if I mount the SD card onto my desktop computer.

I don't have eReader but I would imagine it's converted to a .pdb file within a subfolder of Palm.

Sometimes you need to go up and down within the subfolders to see the files on an SD card. They are easier to read on the PC then they are via FileZ.

I'd double check the eReader documentation for where it's default path would be....a user might be able to tell you better.

But I didn't want you to think this thread was being ignored.

That is precisely where I expected it to be but it is not there nor anywhere else on the SD card, at least with anything resembling the same name.

If you originally HotSync file "XYZ" to the Palm (internal Palm RAM) it shows up and is readable with eReader. Then, from within eReader, if you 'copy' (using eReaders own Copy menu item) it to the SD card it also will then show up on the eReader list of readable files. At this point you have two copies of the file... the original shown to be on the Palm and the copy shown to be on the card. They are both readable. You can then delete either one of them and the other is still there and readable. This shows me that indeed two copies of the file "XYZ" exist. But, the one on the card cannot be found, subfolder or no subfolder.

I have many folders on my card, some empty some with lots of files etc. I can do a search for any component of the filename of the original file. I can scroll through every folder. I cannot find anything even remotely suggestive of being file "XYZ".

My guess at this point is that perhaps eReader puts the file "XYZ" into a single large database file with some kind of esoteric filename, containing every and all files that you may have "Copied" from the Palm RAM to the card using eReader's Copy. I am guessing this in part because other Palm reader programs cannot seem to find files that I have copied over to the card with eReader. They can however, find files that were never copied over and also files that were originally HotSynced to the card in the first place.

On my T3 E-reader reads files from the SD card in the Palm/Books directory. I don't think I've ever installed through a Hotsync though. I just put them there using a card reader.

I have finally figured it out, at least somewhat, I think. When I use the Copy command from within eReader is does NOT necessarliy copy the file in Palm RAM to the Books folder on the card. It puts it in the Launcher folder (on the card) or it puts it in some invisible place. This seems to be dependant on where other eReader files are located on the card.

I am using a Mac, and the HotSync Manager app for the Mac does not have an Install Tool as does the version for the Windows PC. Therefore, if you install a doc file you have two choices where to put it on the PDA. It either goes into the PDA's main RAM or it goes into the Launcher folder of the PALM folder on the SD card. You cannot control where it goes on the SD card, that is automatic. Now that you have established the Launcher folder on the SD card as the eReader doc's file folder it continues to use that folder.

Where my problems began is that my SD card had originally been used in my old TE and over the two years of use I had occasionally had problems for one reason or another that corrupted various files in various places. Well, I just stuck this card into my new TX and started using it. This is where my problems began. The TX was trying to make sense out of a mess and it could not.

As it turns out, to install books directly into the PALM/Books folder on the SD card I must use a card reader and the desktop computer to get at least one book or doc file in that folder. THEN the Copy command from within eReader will indeed copy files to that folder. Otherwise, it would copy files to the Launcher folder on the card or to some nameless/invisible place which could never be located.

Moral of the story.... when you get a new PDA start with clean installations of all files and apps INCLUDING starting with a clean SD card. Yeah, like I will remember that next time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information