Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Does palm have a good reader? Anywhere?

I just bought a new TX to replace my old iPaq that broke. I got a Palm OS unit because i wanted the ease of it working with my mac.

Here's the deal though. I need a good simple, yet functional book reader. On my ipaq I used uReader (micro reader), and loved it. I could change fonts size, colors (bg and text), and it was just generally customizable, yet simple. I need something like that for a palm.

I don't want MobiPocket or eReader. I want something without a proprietary format(plus, i just don't like them). I need one that reads (at least) .html and .txt files. I don't mind paying a little, but obviously, freeware is better.

If i can't find a good reader, it's going back to the store and i'm getting a Windows Mobile device. I use the PDA to stay organized, but i read 2 or 3 books a week on it, and if i can't do that comfortably, it's of no use. I'd rather drop the Mac sync ability than not be able to easily read a book.

I used to use eReader on my T5, as it was free on the CD that came with it. Then, while I was reading one of the forums, either here, 1src or rabroad (I can't remember), Someone mentioned Palm Fiction. So I tried it and I think it's about the best reader. It has all of the features you describe, and it has the ability to change to a dark background and font color for reading in the dark. In addition, you can even set the brightness level you want it to be at for reading every time the program starts. HTH

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like eReader, its a good reader and the pro version is included when you buy the TX. You can try Tibr, it's a reader with a lot of features and it can read zText too. You can find it at http://www.tibr.com , it's sharware and you can test it before you buy it.

Well, i returned the T|X. Then after driving around for four hours, looking at other PDAs, I went and bought another T|X (much to the annoyance of my friend that i drug along on the quest).

I just couldn't find a windows mobile one in my price range that felt as nice. The TX just feels more solid, has a nicer screen, and just generally more features.

Anyway, thanks for sending me to PalmFiction, Collumb. It's good stuff, exactly what I was looking for. Very simple, customizable, and best of all, free. Probably better than uReader on my iPaq. It actually has an autoscroll that i can tolerate.

I'm a little late on this one, but you might also want to try Plucker. You can convert almost anything to it's format and it has lots of features and is free. I use it almost exclusively, though right now I'm trying out iSilo as I just discovered it reads .txt files w/o any conversion.

If you should decide to renew your quest, and are willing to "drug" someone, I'm your guy!

(I also LOVE playing with gadgets)

I don't think you'lll regret going back to the T|X. I've had mine for three months, and really like it.

I also read a LOT and use eReader. I find that they have a good selection of books, and the reader suits my needs. I also like the ability with eReader to tap and hold on a word, and have the dictionary come up instantly, then simply dismiss the dictionary, and you're back where you left off in your reading.

Not sure if other readers have that feature (plus eReader comes with a built in dictionary)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been using iSilo for quite a while. It is a great program. I especially like the external document linking and hyperlink support. iSiloX does a great job of converting graphics and background colors of HTML files.

Plucker is also a good reader, especially when considering how much it costs. It is almost identical to iSilo, but lacks external document linking. Graphic converting with JPluck and Sunrise is somewhat lagging behind iSiloX. There is a dictionary plugin for Plucker that can be downloaded from the Plucker web site.

http://www.isilo.com

http://www.plkr.org

how how, when i tab the screen the next page comes up, u do mean the eReader bundled with the device, right?

I have a LD by the way (same same right?)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information