Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

'Typing' via the screen

I've never used a PDA with input via the screen and am a fairly fast touch-typist so I imagine my speed will come down like a lead balloon with a TX. Obviously there is a learning curve, but having had a bit of experience with it, how fast can you type on the screen? Alternatively, I suppose I will have to buy an external keyboard? Are they any good? Many thanks.

'Typing' via the screen

Graffiti 2 which comes on the TX is fairly quick to learn and realtively quick. You can probably get about 40wpm which is sufficient for most purposes of a PDA.

If you are planning on typing long letters or memos then a keyboard would be advisable. I've used several Palm based keyboards over the years and all are pretty durable and do the job well. Just be certain to get the right software driver for the TX to match the keyboard you have......I prefer the Universal Wireless Keyboard that uses the IR port - this way you can set the device in Landscape mode whereas the other keyboard sometimes require a serial interface which prevents landscape mode.

'Typing' via the screen

Thank you. I think I'll get a keyboard as well. The Palm UWK seems to come as a device by itself, according to the 'shop' on the Palm website. Do I need to buy software as well?

'Typing' via the screen

Palm traditionally will ship or package a CD with the keyboard. Or you can always download the software from their web site.

Here is the driver for the Universal Wireless Keyboard.

http://www.palm.com/us/support/downl..._keyboard.html

Be certain to select the correct driver if you take it off of the CD - there is some confusion - Palm Wireless Keyboard has a separate driver from the UWK so just be careful.

'Typing' via the screen

Thanks

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information