Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are multi-effects guitar pedals better than individual pedals?

which is better for what and why?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Multi-effects are more convenient, but individual pedals typically sound better.

The big advantage to individual pedals is that you've usually got WAY more control over the sound. Multi-effect pedals usually have more generalized controls. You can also place individual pedals anywhere in the chain you want. The order of your effects makes a difference! Multi-effect units usually put everything in a pretty good order, but it's nice to have the freedom to make your own choices. For example, I like putting a compressor behind my distortion pedal. Most multi's put their compression effects before the gain stages (which is the norm, but I like the effect you get when you switch them).

It's nice to have a good multi though. I hate it when I show up at a rehearsal and the other guitarist wastes 20 minutes dicking around with 10 different pedals... they usually don't even pull that great of a sound out of it either, so they basically just wasted a bunch of rehearsal time. I walk in, throw my multi down, and pull up one of the presets I worked on at home. It takes me all of 2 minutes to set up my stuff. That means more time to actually rehearse.

Even when I'm using pedals, I actually know what I'm doing. I know A LOT of guitarists that have tons of pedals and really have no clue what they're doing with them. It's just a gear fetish. If you know what you're doing, you won't waste anybody's time, and people appreciate that.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    No, not in most instances multi-effect pedals are not better.
    Thank about it most multi effect pedals are copying other pedals anyway.
    Multi effect pedals need programing, require you to learn software, often start out with extreme sound settings to show you what the "could" do and don't give you the routing options of individual pedals.

I do own 2 multi effect units a boss Me-20 and an ME-33, but I have 40 individual pedals that I swap in and out of my setup, if I don't like an individual pedal I can sell it and try another, if I don't like the distortion on a multi effect you are just stuck with it.

If you do go the multi route make sure you know what you want, most have extra features like amp modelers that are useless if you already love your amp tone.

In general a good pedal board setup is easier to create, repair, fix and adjust to your own personal tastes.

The cool thing now is that it is a great time to be buying pedals, there are more small pedal shops than have ever existed and the range of products is amazing.

Also: as an FYI don't go all over trying to track down true bypass pedals, some are good but a full chain of them will really kill your high end, buffers aren't always bad.

And if you want advice and suggestions or to see pictures of my current three pedal board setup just shoot me an e-mail.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    .Multi effect pedals offer you a wider tone palette to choose from. Single pedals will make one sound like distortion, or chorus. Multi pedals are programmable and you can really zero in on a certain sound that you want. Most multi effects have memories that will hold your custom creations. Multis are powered by a power cord, and singles are powered by a 9 volt battery but can be hooked up in series to a powered pedal board. The bypass on some single pedals will affect the tone of your instrument, and multi effect pedals rarely have this problem. Boss makes single pedals and also have a nice selection of multi effects pedals. At a 100 on up a pop for pedals can add up quickly. Multi effect pedals will offer more sounds for less money. Most guitarists suffer from G.A.S. (Gear acquisition syndrome) and you can drop big bucks on different pedals.etc.Always try out a multi or a pedal at the music store and see if it makes the sound that you are looking for.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Multi pedals are easier (but heavier) to set up, and good for trying to replicate exact sounds in a cover band. However, they are a pain to setup, and somewhat impossible, since frequency changes with loudness and something that sounds great at home will suck live.

If you are into jazz or blues where your not going after heavy metal distortion, the best sound you can get is with a nice guitar, a great amp and maybe one or two pedals that have real bypass. The guitar is more responsive to your playing and simply more fun to play. And who really needs a flanger, phaser, pitch shifter, even a wah? A delay, volume and a couple of distortion/overdrives is probably all you need.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information