Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If someone forges my signature even with approval, is it still invalid?

A couple months ago my friends signed me into a lease for a townhouse, because I was currently out of town. I gave them all my information including my social security number. At the time, they were friends, but I no longer want to move in with them. I was wondering if even though I gave them permission, can I still back out just because they forged my signature and I wasn't present for signing the lease? Thanks your help is much appreciated.
    Also, they told me they have "witnesses" for me giving my permission, does this change anything?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    you're probably going to lose the case. you did give permission and you're now bound by it, especially if the person complaining did not know that your signature was added by someone else.

it isn't forgery, btw, if they had permission.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    If they have your permission, it is TECHNICALLY not forgery. That said, if you give someone Power of Attorney (legal authority to act on your behalf), they should sign THEIR name, POA for your name. Legally, your case could go either way. ETHICALLY, if you back out, you should be subject to the same consequences as if you had personally signed the lease.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    You entered into the lease agreement by proxy - that is, you had someone else agree to the lease terms for you, with the intent of honoring the contract.

You can be held to the lease contract on the basis of your proxy agreement, however, the guy should have acknowledged by your fake signature that he was signing for you.

In this case, you both probably have shaky legal grounds for suing each other for the contract being solid. Their witness to you giving permission would probably sway the balance in their favor, and they'd probably win.

You need to speak to a lawyer if they decide to sue you for breach of contract.

- Stuart

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information