Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Favorite "Simpsons Couch Gag?"

I watched a few videos of the "couch gags" shown every week on The Simpsons on YouTube. I never knew that they'd done so many of them, and most of them are almost funnier than the episodes themselves.

I can't think of a particular favorite right now (too many of them to think about). What are some of yours?

And what kind of "couch gag" would you like to see them do in future episodes?

Not to be negative, but my least favourite- the killer couches. The mean spirited surrealism that has held the show for many years finally infects the couch gag.

My favorite is the one where it keeps zooming out until it goes out of the universe and back into atoms and molecues and it makes up homers head. It was pretty cool animation.

My Least favorite, only because it is used so many times, it the one where they run in and see themselves already on the couch.

Plus it's too long. The best couch gags are, IMO, the ones that are normal length, or at least close to normal length.

My faves:
    -9F02: The family runs off the screen, past the edge of the film.
    -1F14: The family has to split in half to sit on two separate couches.
    -1F18: Homer rips off the Fox logo and the family stomps on it.
    -2F06: The family runs at the couch but never make it because the perspective changes, as the couch gets farther and farther away and they stay the same distance away.
    -3F09: A hunter has all the Simpsons heads mounted on the wall.
    -3F10: Miniature mouse family in the wall mirrors the regular family.
    -4F07: Vend-a-Couch. Homer repeatedly hits the button until a couch falls on him.
    -4F08: Whack-a-Mole game, with Homer being hit by the mallet.
    -4F11: America Onlink window, with a status bar that takes forever to load the family. Finally the aggravated user hits cancel repeatedly.
    -3G03: The family doesn't make it to the couch because everyone is locked outside.
    -5F23: The family is tiny, and they lift each other up onto the couch. But then Santa's Little Helper comes in and grabs Homer.
    -3G04: Rocky and Bullwinkle parody.
    -AABF13: Adult Bart and Lisa. Homer wants to use the remote but Lisa takes the remote from him and slaps his hand.
    -DABF10: Matt Groening as puppet master.
    -DABF20: "Get Smart" parody, with Homer going through all the futuristic doors.
    -EABF18: Everyone decays into dust.
    -FABF16: "What? Can't we sit on the couch without something happening?" And then a spear is thrown at Homer.
    -HABF01: "COUCH GAG THRILLS NATION"

MY fav couch gags are:
    - The neverending run to the couch as it keeps going farther away
    - The Monty Python flying circus homage aka the giant foot
    - Matt Groening resigning his name after Marge cleans it
    - Whack A Mole
    - The Loading Screen
    - The Floating eyes in the dark
    - From the Treehouse of Horrors, the ones where they are frankensteins, And them being killed while Freddy and Jason sit on the couch
    - The Flinstones already on the couch
    - Crushing Grandpa with the fold out couch
    - The really long one with the circus performers

I Will Not Mess With The Opening Credits

I've always hated that one. WAAAAY too long. Like Speedy Boris, I prefer the much shorter ones.

On the contrary: that couch gag only appeared once during the show's network run (it was used for 1F01 "Rosebud"). The syndicators pulled it seemingly at random to replace most of the couch gags from the first three seasons.

Most of my personal favorites come from Seasons 6, 7, and 8. I think one of my all-time favorites is the one from 3G03 "Simpsoncalafragilisticexpiala-D'oh-cious", wherein we see a shot of the empty couch, followed by Homer struggling to unlock the front door as the rest of the family stands around annoyedly.

I also have to put in a good word for the couch gag from 8F11 "Radio Bart", where the family sits on the couch and then bounce around from one cushion to another. Their facial expressions as they bounce are hilarious.

- The one with the Family Photos where it changes every year or so.
    - The "Get Smart" spoof.
    - Anime meets cartoon with all of the Simpsons chars as anime chars.

The Evolution of Homer gag
    That episode when Fry of Futurama appears in
    The gag when it features The Simpsons house, then it goes to the whole universe, which is Homer's head.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information