Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

"Family Guy" - What Works and What Doesn't

Eh, to me, Family Guy was never about the characters and always about the cutaways. Even after nine years, none of the characters are interesting, likable, or have enough depth to them to carry storylines like say The Simpsons. Even Stewie and Brian are basically shallow characters with thin personalities. Pretty much the only reason the cast was created was an excuse for the cutaways.

I can't say I really mind this either. I've don't give a damn about any of the characters on Family Guy. Never have.

You know what bothers me? Those gags with Peter fighting the chicken are just waaaay too long. And then the just continue the show as if the fight never happened! And with Peter wounded, no less. Stupid writers...

I don't have a problem with the chicken fights, as long as they're timed well. The first one in 2ACX06 "Da Boom" worked because it was a parody of action movie fights, and it went on just long enough where it was funny but not too labored. The second one from 4ACX04 "Blind Ambition" was about a minute longer, so the humor became overwhelmed by the length, and it only acted as filler. I understand there's been a third one since then that was even longer, and from what I hear, the writers want to do an episode that's just a 22-minute chicken fight. That's what worries me - the writers are letting these moments overwhelm the show based purely on the fact that they're referencing previous episodes.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Okay, these chicken fights are kinda fun, but an entire episode being one...that's insane.

Well, the third one did do a twist on the fight. I'm not sure I want to spoil it since you said you were going to watch the newer seasons now.

So, what do you think of MacFarlane's other show, American Dad?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can go ahead and tell me - I've heard enough horror stories about Seasons 4 through 6 to know that they're not worth my time anymore.

As for "American Dad", I think my time really would be better spent watching that. I understand it's more linear and solidly characterized than "Family Guy" is, has more intelligent humor, and doesn't exist just to showcase pop culture references. Just about everything I hear about it is positive, and the negative comments only seem to come from those who think that "Family Guy" is the epitome of comedy (which I don't). I watched the first couple of episodes in Season 1, but I trailed off after them - I think it's time for me to play catch-up.

If I had seen those fights by themselves online, I would think they're well-timed and really good for a 2D fight.

However, seeing the fights interrupt the story just doesn't give me a good taste in my mouth, which causes me to have a :/ expression whenever there's a chicken fight joke.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

it gets better pretty quickly. I didn't care for the first few episodes too much. The first episode I really enjoyed was Francine's Flashback, and I think it's pretty consistently funny now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information