Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Holy Crap: It's Family Guy's 10th Anniversary!

"It seems today, that all you see, is violence in movies and sex on TV."

10 years. What the duece?

Remember 1995's The Life Of Larry (the short that characterized a old man named Larry and his dog Steve to now that is Peter and Brian Griffin)?

Remember 1997's Larry and Steve (the What A Cartoon! short that referenced many characters, places, and gags that would be the core of the show)?

Remember when the show was animated by Film Roman during Season 1 and a small bit of Season 2?

Remember when some of the buildings (Happy Go Lucky Toys, etc.) were cheesy designs?

Remember when Stewie always wanted to kill Lois most of the time?

Remember the glorious fights between Peter and the Chicken?

Remember when Brian was an intelligent (and still is), but boozed dog who was a friendly enemy to Stewie and was at times attracted to Lois and would never get any (Even though he came close when they were temporarily married)? And also having him to date women, only to be heartbroken in the end)?

Remember when Hubert wasn't a big pest as he is nowadays?

Remember when Peter wasn't retarded, but wasn't smart either?

Remember when Meg wasn't really abused and was treated as a daughter by the family?

Remember when most of the jokes, gags and 80's references were downright laughable all the time?

Remember when the Griffins (even Brian) had eyebrows (Although Stewie, and other characters still have eyebrows)?

Remember when FOX canceled the show in 2000 and 2002, only to be resurrected in 2005 thanks to Cartoon Network's Adult Swim, DVD sales and rising popularity?

Well...I do. Don't you? Here's to another 10 years. Cheers.

What are your memories?

Remember when he said he wanted to make a movie cause he had a plot he couldn't do in the show only to reveal that he was on a contract to do so?

Remember when the show was essentially a less clever version of "The Simpsons" packed with awkwardly-written jokes, meaningless TV and movie references, pedestrian animation, and the most basic and two-dimensional characterization possible?

The sad thing is, that's the best the show ever got.

Remember when people never bothered to constantly criticize the fairly decent program and say mindlessly that "the show sucks!" or that it's "overated".......oh wait...

Remember when this show wasn't called overrated and people just watched it because it was funny and didn't constantly compare it to shows that it wasn't trying to be?

Yeah, this thread is productive. I'm loving the knee-jerk reaction around here where people attack this show at the very mention of it's name.

Well anyway (rolls eyes) Happy Anniversary Family Guy. Here's to many more years of entertainment, no matter what those claim it's unfunny or overrated may think.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, it's not common for a show to stay on the air for 10 years, so congrats Family Guy. May you keep on entertaining your audience, even as groups of people try to make ridiculous comparisons to you and one of the most popular animated TV shows of all time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I still remember watching the show when it debuted after the Super Bowl. It was like The Simpsons cranked up to the max, and I watched it numerous times.

Then, a three month wait until more episodes. At the time I was thinking, "Was that a one time only deal? Was it cancelled already?" Then the rest of season 1 debuted, and just like that, gone. Again, I wondered if it was done. September, new episodes. And they aired a bunch until the summer of 2000.

Then, nothing. I learned it was cancelled. Well, nice knowing ya. We had some laughs but it's sadly one of those shows that never got a chance to prove itself.

But wait! Summer 2001: Family Guy returns! With new episodes! I was stoked and laughed my butt off watching the premiere, "The Thin White Line". Caught nearly all of the new ones from 2001-2002, missing a couple due to that darn schedule shuffling and other engagements. Then I hear it's cancelled for good. No, we MEAN it this time. Kaputzski. Sigh. Wish I had taped more episodes when it was on. We'll never get it on some sort of disc-based media.

And, you know the rest.

...Wow. Being a FG fan wasn't easy. :sweat: Yeah, we may have delay of new episodes nowadays, but back then it was arguably worse.

Which are ridiculous, obnoxious and entirely unfair. "Family Guy is a rip-off of the Simpsons" is an insanely lame complaint that was played out years ago.

Family Guy doesn't have the same draw it did years ago when it had decent stories and well-written characters, but I can't deny that it still isn't a gutbusting good laugh.

I just recently checked out the original college short Seth made with Larry and Steve. Lots of jokes that ended up being used in Family Guy. He sure has come a long way.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information