Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Cartoons that give away the humor

The Flinstones and classic Scooby-Doo. Laughtrack. 'Nuff said.

Agreed on Family Guy, and some moments in newer The Simpsons episodes, notably Milhouse tossing the frisbee and Ralph's "Duck! Duck! Duck!"

Excel Saga is another good example. Way too fast-paced.

The clever cutaways are few and far between sadly. Moments like the one where Stewie assumes he's setting up a cutaway but isn't or a random cutaway early on that becomes relavent later. Earlier cutaways worked well because they could be simple and not give away the joke e.g.:

Brian: "Face it, Peter, you're not the best liar"

*cutaway to Peter in a lift with one other guy. Peter farts and the guy notices*

Peter: "It was you!"

Not the greatest joke ever but it's funny and doesn't spell the joke out for you. More of that again and the cutaways would be funny again, not just the writers holding your hand as they lead you into toilet humour.

Not to be rude, but how does being fast paced equal the cartoon spelling out the jokes for the audience? Yeah, another example would be in "The King is Dead" when Lois said Einstein worked in the patent office. She doesn't say, "Too many people pass off others' work as their own." to give away the punchline of the cutaway.

Or when Stewie says, "I'll do to you what I did to John Lennon..." which cuts away to a scene that is not what you expected at all. Stuff like that is clever.

The holding hand thing is absolutely bothersome and I hate when cartoons do that. One of my main issues with that though involves more of hinting that a couple is canon in the least subtle way possible. Wow, way to let the audience come up with their own theories, I mean seriously. Example of this would be TDI with how obvious it was that Duncan and Courtney were going to get together. Yeah, might as well have put it in neon lights while they were at it...

At the moment I don't have any examples of jokes though, but I'm sure I have some good ones.

Family Guy telling jokes structure:

1. We are about to tell a joke, this is what it's about.
    2. Joke
    3. We just told you a joke, it was this.

As with the Simpsons, I hate it when a character has to after 10 seconds repeat part of the joke, it's annoying especially when the joke's not funny.

Excel Saga practically rams its jokes in your face like this. I used to like it, but not anymore. I mean, the idea of a low-budget crime organization sounds funny, but it's the way they present it.

(Though I still can't help but feel for poor Pedro...)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information