Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Your Most and Least Favorite Sound-Effects

What has been your favorite sound effect you like hearing? And the one you dread to hear once more? I am truly found of the "CLANG" sound. It just rings a tune to me. I, however, am getting sick of the penny whistle sounds and most sounds used by Hanna-Barbera and Anime.

My favorite is the "Beyoooooo-WOOP!" sound used for the "iris out" circle at the end of a lot of Looney Tunes shorts.

I love just about all the sound effects for the Hanna/Barbara theatrical era of Tom and Jerry, especially the shotgun "crack", the whisker pull "poink" and the tom tom thud whenever someone falls.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It's used mostly in live-action, but it's used quite often in cartoons, so it fits: the Wilhelm Scream.

Anyone who's tired of the Wilhelm Scream is tired of life.

I don't know the names of any of them... and it's hard to describe them using letters to represent sounds... (try spelling a whistle without using the term whistle and i get ooooooooooooooo)

I guess i like some and dislike others but really i'm indifferent to them as they are such cosmetic and unimportant elements imo

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess also adding some of the sound effects from MGM cartoons, most notibly, the bell ringing.

I also like how Ed, Edd, 'n' Eddy and SpongeBob SquarePants add random sound effects from nowhere in the situation.

I pretty much liked the majority of HB sound effects, since they were used in a lot of series. Of particular note would be the sound effect that's first heard when Jet Screamer makes his spin entry on The Jetsons. This would be later used whenever Winsome Witch used her magic (remember her catch phrase Ippity-Pippity-POW!!!), among other series. That last time it was used was for one of HB's final logos, the rectangle that had stars from several series including Flintstones, Jetsons, Yogi Bear, Huck Hound, El Kabong, and Scooby-Doo dashing all over the screen. The sound effect added a couple of bings, bangs, and boinks at about the point it would freeze on Fred Flintstone.

My least favorite sound effect was in the original Spider-Man series in the late 1960's when that annoying zip noise was made whenever he swung across the screen. It was omitted in season 1, but for the last 3, it was an unnecessary addition, after the second animation studio practically took away other good aspects of the superior first season.

Tom & Jerry always had the best sound effects, which is great since it so heavily relied on them without voices. The "bashing" sound effect always makes me cringe... In a good way.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've always liked the old Hanna-Barbera sound effects best, along with several of the classic WB sound effects. The sound effects on "Rocky and Bullwinkle" are also fun too. I also like the old Castle Thunder sound effect:
    http://www.hollywoodlostandfound.net...lethunder.html
    http://beta.dailymotion.com/user/Wil...ion_shortfilms

It's too bad the most recent direct-to-video Scooby-Doo movies no longer use it, instead opting for newly-recorded thunderclaps recorded specially for the films (I have the feeling they send the sound editors to where I live, they always sound just like the thunderstorms I get every summer.)

My least favorite sound effects are probably the ones used on "What's New, Scooby-Doo" (which rarely used the old H-B sound effects), especially the way they used the WB sound effects instead and their own awful new thunder sounds. I also dislike some of the old WB sound effects that kept being overused especially outside WB (mainly their car-skid and their wind-whistle spinning noise).

I love the old "robot breaking down" sound from some older cartoons. If want to know which one I'm talking about, try the episode of Chip and Dale's Rescue Rangers about the robot bulldogs. One of them gets heavily damaged and starts making those kinds of noises for the rest of the episode.

I'm also fond of the classic "giant robot moves its arm" sound from the older Gundam series. It was a very distinctive noise, and you used to here it quite often, though sadly it seems long retired.

For least favorite, I'd say a good portion of the weaker stock laser sounds. Nothing more annoying to me than to see a character pull out a BFG or let loose More Dakka and hear something that sounds like a castrated squirt gun.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information