Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Mobile phone to read ebooks

I've been reading ebooks on my old Tungsten PDA for over 5 years. I download the novel, convert to a PalmDoc file using Tibr and use the book reader, its worked brilliantly.
    Unfortunately the battery life on my old PDA is feeble so I need a change. Basically, I want a mobile phone with a book reader that will let me skive at work for an hour or so to have a read.
    I would like a new Iphone 3GS, but will it allow me to convert my giant library of ebooks in all different file formats into a specific format that I can read with the Iphone?
    Its a make or break deal, if I can't convert my ebooks to a readable format on the iphone 3GS i won't bother with it.
    Is there another mobile phone out there that would do the job better? And I don't want a dedictaed ebook reader, I want a phone with an ebook reader as I am sick of carrying my PDA and mobile around with me.
    Any help would be much appreciated.

The Stanza app for iPhone/iPod Touch will allow you to read ebooks from almost any format you can imagine. The wife has read a tone of books on hers; she's used it for audio maybe two hours since she got it in May.

Stanza transfers adobe pdf files only. Even then it doesn't support graphics. Basically it omits pictures, tables, and bolds and italics. It is not great for txt books.

Stanza supports the following formats and does a great job on them: .pdb epub azw .prc html,.htm pdf .lit pdb txt .rtf doc .fb2

http://www.lexcycle.com/supported-formats

TOP didn't ask about textbooks, but ebooks. The free Stanza app reads most popular formats of ebooks, with the exception of the Sony format. I'm pretty sure there is some freeware program that will convert the obscure Sony format to a format Stanza will recognize.

just pick the platform you want, and there are eBook apps available for it. windows mobile phones have ebook apps. symbian phones have ebook apps. etc etc. you basically have open option to any smartphone you want. they all have PDF readers as well.

Sorry about my confusioin.

Q for you or RogerPodcaster might help me. I have books on my laptop that I downloaded. Some are in Pdf adobe and others compiled HTML help file. When I tried to transfer them with stanza the HTML files wouldnt even show up in the file box. The pdf files do but as I said the graphics are not supported. Do you know how I can get this done. I am using iPhone 3gs.
    Thanks.

Cheers guys

Picked up a 16gb Iphone and downloaded Stanza. Excellent, never looked back, does all i want it to

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information