Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

"Hardware" Rules At Nokia

My understanding of the reason why current MfE doesn't work with Google is that Google uses a relatively slapdash implementation of the version of ActiveSync that was used in Exchange 2003. While updating MfE to speak the protocol used in 2010, something broke with Google, yet it still works with older versions of Exchange. Given that Exchange is the standard, I'd say it's up to Google to fix whatever is broken on their end. That's not to say that it wouldn't be wise for Nokia to fix the problem on their end, but ultimately the responsibility lies with Google.

If MfE failed to work with Zimbra, I would similarly expect Zimbra to fix it.

Do you think the customer cares that it's google's fault? They'll just buy whatever works.

I never said it wouldn't be in Nokia's best interest to do what they can from their end, I just said it's really Google's problem.

It's not like Nokia isn't aware that Gmail email sync is broken. They've been aware of it since the E75 launch on up including the N900. It's been their typical response of "it's (insert company name)'s fault, talk to them" instead of being flexible. They do the same thing with the BT support and it's infuriating that only my Nokia devices fail to automatically connect to the uConnect BT system in my wife's Jeep. Multiple BB's, iPhone and my old Nokia 6820 work as they should. None of my Symbian devices have worked. And I won't get started again on my Acura system.

iPhone works as does Android. They have to keep that in mind when trying to compete with these devices and given the fact that cloud computing is where all of this is going. Thursday I will be trying a direct IMAP connection which is likely to piss me off. *sigh*

Nokia’s Bureaucracy Stifled Innovation, Ex-Managers Say

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/27/te...okia.html?_r=2

Pretty sad: ?There were plenty of years to make Symbian better,? said Mr. Nyman, who was at Nokia from 1983 to 2009, and took early retirement. ?We could have rewritten the whole code several times over. We had the resources and the people. But we didn?t do it.?

Just finished reading that article, and it explains a lot of things. Man, what could have been had Nokia jumped on some of those ideas.

I'm also interested to get my hands on that book that was mentioned near the end.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Yeah, very interesting read and probably largely true! Democracy is good but too much democracy is tyranny of the masses and cannot really work in a company as the only decision making principle. Then again, there _may_ also be something to what the PR person said - even these folks may not have the full picture. In any event, if its true 500 proposals how to improve Symbian were all rejected.. woah.. what a mess!

Btw, wasn't the 7710 released around 2004? Is that not the phone they say was canned?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information