Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

My iPhone is sold... Nexus One on its way....

Apple has a long way to go to match some basic features on Android 2.1: multitasking, real time widgets, social networking sync with phone book, interactive wallpapers, built in street navigation, ability to upload to Youtube directly, being able to view Picassa pics directly on your Gallery, being able to share pictures to picture social networking sites directly from the Gallery, dynamic weather updates based on your GPS location, and one of the best push and event notification systems in the business.

Even have not gone what the future will hold, or what other UIs can add to Android, such as Sense UI's ability to prioritize contacts based on your actual location, as well as altering time zones based on your GPS location.

Android, as well as WebOS, actually starts making iPhone OS rather old, archaic even.

New generation mobile OS has to be:

1. Contacts or People oriented. Traditional OS is file or apps management oriented. New generation OS has to be centered on human - contacts - social networking management. An example would be the phone book able to sync with Facebook.

2. Real Time with notifications - Ambient streaming as they are calling it, the OS must be able to present an organized stream of real time information to the user from all sources whether its email, Twitter, SMS, Facebook, other social networking sites. Two ways this is done, first via unified event and messaging notification timeline, and second, through real time widgets (requires multitasking).

3. Dynamic location basing - Use location based features to dynamically prioritize contacts, phone calling, weather, mobile advertising, maps, search and web. This part requires real time widgets which in turn requires a multitasking OS.

4. Seamless Cloud Computing integration. Android constantly syncs to the Cloud for example. You lose an Android phone during your work travel, you can easily acquire a new one, and just by simply logging on to your Google account, the new phone would restores all your contact and calendar information. Another example is the way Android will show your Picassa pics from the phone Gallery itself.

iTunes works great for me!! Can't say the Windows version is anywhere near the greatness of the Mac version, but that's what happens when you choose the wrong OS. I run both, but iTunes on Windows is a fail.

Wasn't aware that you can't delete pictures....I do it all the time. Why would you want to delete music from your phone?

What decent phone was out 12 months ago that was better than the 3GS?

Not really sure how you figure it has more limitations than any other smartphone. You sound like a hater to me.

Let me know when there is a better all around package available from a smartphone.... Hardware, software, apps, integration, accessories, other 3rd party support.

I personally think webOS is far better than Android currently and has much more potential. Palm just needs to make some hardware that I like....

Android 2.1 came out 6 months after iPhone OS 3, but I expect great things from OS 4. I wil mention that half of the things you've mentioned are entirely possible on iPhone 3.0 software. Android doesn't even have a real push system like BB or iPhone. It relies on HTTP check-in which is not nearly as energy efficient so I don't see how you can list it as an Android advantage.

Android has a long way to go to match some basic features on iPhone OS 3, soon to be 4 like being easy to use and stable. Google needs to scrap the gallery on 2.1 or at least make it work much, much faster. Even on the Nexus One it's pretty slow at times, sometimes it works fine, but others it just crashes or moves extremely slowly.

Um... the N1 screen is glass.

Android has a long way to go before it can compare to the iPhone. I had a Droid for a while, and the idea behind Android is great, the execution is poor. Everyone bragged about how the Droid's screen was so much better than the 3G S and how it was going to blow it away and that hasn't and will never happen. Until HTC or whoever starts building devices that can handle what the phone is capable of, then nothing will change.

Look I have a Macbook Pro also.. I know how itunes works...and its not that good... like I said its good if you like downloading music, videos and podcast... not that great of a management tool and it is slow as molasses.

If i remember corrrectly you can only delete pictures on the phone that you take on the phone camera.. not pictures that you synced via itunes.

and music, why not have the ablility to delete music off your phone? its adds to more choice for the user not the maker...

How many phones where better SPEC'D than iphone...

N82, N96(feb 2008), N86, Omnia, xperia x1( Feb 2008), sony idou, touch pro 2.. LOL that was BEFORE the 3GS... after the 3GS.... Nexus, Xperia x10 and x2, HTC Bravo/passion, N900, N97, N97 Mini, Omnia 2, Nokia X6... etc.. all day..

Mind you I said Better SPEC'D...

Since you have the nexus.. please explain to me what the iphone has over the andriod 2.1 currently? Drill bit gave a really good comparision... but you have offered nothing...

But I agree iphone has ALOT of proprietary accessories... which is a gift and a curse... and ALOT of apps... those are the only points I wont argue...

Putting Iphone and BB in the same sentence regarding push notifications is ridiculous...

Outside of that... the gallery on 2.1 is gorgeous... visually and function... I havent had any slowness or crashing I uploaded 400 pictures just find and I can view the very nicely... Most of the function of the gallery is gimmicky.. but it seem like a solid implementation to me...

Ill give you one feature off the top of my head thats better on iphone... i wish i could change tracks on the music player from the lock screen... iphone is good for that..

I wish on the dial pad I can start typing a name or a number and it would give me a list of people that match... it does it in the sms and email apps but not the dialpad? Im not sure if iphone does this or not? but I know BB does...

theres a start.. can you finish?

Sold the 3Gs for the N97 last year,,,,never looked back. I did miss the "toy" effect so I bought an iTouch. As a singular device phone the iPhone was an epic fail. Especially needing iTunes to do anything and no battery to replace when needed.

Looked at the Nexus but mo FM radio and no ATT 3G as well as many issues with volume so I still wait for the N97 killer....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Lol, its a joke to put BB and iPhone push notification on the same sentence.

iPhone also requires an HTTP check in and actually even requires paid third party apps to do it (Boxcar, GPush among many others). I also find iPhone's push notification to be less than consistent. I'm supposed to get notifications from Echofon, Facebook etc,. but I'm not getting any from the iPhone system.

Blackberry also does HTTP check in but they do it from the BIS side.

Also things like the status update of an app or video being downloaded doesn't require an HTTP check in. The iPhone OS does not tell you when they're completed while you're doing something else. Android does. Android's notification systems include status of local processes and events.

What iPhone does not have is a unified list of notifications. You only see the last notification on the screen, you don't see the list of events unlike Android and Blackberry. On the iPhone you can't assign different ring tones to different notifications, not unlike Blackberry and Android.

iPhone OS stable? I've had random resets on iPhone OS 3.1, which I never had on Android 1.6. The new version of the iPhone OS seems less stable than the previous version. When iPhone OS hangs it just becomes immovable for several minutes, then turns black and Apple logo come in. If something is pissing on my Android, I turn to one of the task managers and kill off the process.

Even on Android, I use one Search (with voice) to search for web and phone contents, an ability only shared to Blackberry users using Google Mobile App just two days ago. On iPhone there are two separate Search, one for the phone the other for the web.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information