Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 26 of 26 FirstFirst ... 16242526

Apple iPhone 3G [S] vs. HTC/Google Nexus One

No common sense needed to jailbreak or install jailbroken apps, add settings, etc: Other mobile OSs can't claim that. It also makes the whole "open" argument mute.

Some Boost mobiles iDEN sim cards work with GSM phones. Don't ask me why or how, I just know it does. The one my friend had was black with a 64k logo.

now it is back in the box and ready to go back to Google. I get tired of the 'same old' iPhone OS but at the end of the day it just works best. The Android browser and apps left way to much to be desired for me. Oh well, I have 4.0 to look forward to and the next gen iPhone anyhow.

So you tell me which ones are CPU intensive. I can tell which ones on my Android because I can run a system task manager that can display CPU usage on a graph similar to Windows Task Manager on the desktop..

Maybe you can try running YouTube and Twitterific at the same time.

The Android memory environment is constantly dynamic. Even when they're not launched, apps invisibly start threads to do one thing, then close by themselves. That's how they present an ambient stream of real time information.

For example, not all iPhone Twitter apps have a push notification sysem, and those that have it, don't exactly do it well. Yet every Android Twitter app has a push notification system. I don't need to launch Twidroid to get Twidroid notifications.

Under iPhone 3.0 some iPhone apps have push notifications. Guess what, when they're running, like sending notifications while I'm watching a video---yes you can watch VEOH as web apps---those notifications can cause my iPod Touch to stutter.

If you really want to try a true CPU intensive app on the iPhone, try something that display lots of pop up mobile ads. I've seen iPhone RSS feeders with mobile ads stutter.

That's not the point. The icon movement is definitely more intuitive compared to legacy OSes. But its definitely not desktop intuitive.

Please explain to me why that matters? It seems that even with that fragmentation... andriod is a more functional OS...

Again I repeat it is not as polished as Iphone OS.... its just more functional...

What did you desire? I made the switch and am happy to say I still have the nexus one.

I tried it and return same day as well, Android Apps just aren't as refined and the screen response compared to the iPhone is night/day. Nail in the coffin was on screen keyboard.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

it was the polish and refinment that I missed. I found the on screen keyboard more difficult. Little things like placing the cursor where you want are difficult in Android. The apps were very raw to me and did not have near the usuability that I feel the iPhone apps have. Apps that are on both platforms don't have comparable feature sets even, they seem watered down on android. Also, while I love the screen when looking at the home screen, when there are small logos or images such as you would see in a Twitter app, the images are saturated. The AMOLED screen used does not handle color variation in small spaces well. Additionally, I would find when browsing webpages, such as apple insider, everytime I touch the screen the color of the page changed slightly. I would have honestly preferred an LCD display. I really wanted to like it but I just found too many things that I would have had to settle on. Perhaps I will try it again in future generations of the OS. The only other OS I find comparable to apples is WebOS but it may be dead soon.

I used to dislike the iphone for its lack of openness (and still do) but what it does (albeit small) it does very well. And I may be returning my n1 to keep my 3gs (only because I'm positive a jailbreak is eventually coming). If a jailbreak wasn't coming I would just keep the n1 and root it (it is very difficult for me to use an iphone without jailbreak).

Yes, the n1 keyboard is buggy, but from what I can tell rooting and using other keyboards will solve the problem. But if I root it, I void the warranty so I can't return it.

However, I have no gripe with android. It's as amazing as I thought it would be and the Nexus One is fast. It doesn't slow down ever and I really like that. Though, it still seems like the slight hardware issues add up in my daily experience that cause me to "tsk" and "sigh" throughout the day. I could see firmware updates MAYBE fixing these small issues and I could definitely be back... or the Nexus Two could be the king of android phones by fixing everything that was even slightly problematic with the N1.

Also, I listen to a lot more music on my phone than I thought I would and a mediascape ROM for the n1 would be great but I haven't heard any progress on it (since the x10 is just now releasing). I may move to the x10 because of it's bigger screen (slightly same hardware though no multitouch) even though it has keyboard issues. Apparently, the screen has a good response in everything else which is great. But I'm sure bugs in that will ruin me as well. I really do like android and never once doubted it and I want to keep an android phone. I may come to a decision by the end of the weekend as to whether or not I am keeping the n1. Even if I do keep it, I see myself getting rid of it in the coming months for something better anyway as new tech is on the horizon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information