Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 26 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Apple iPhone 3G [S] vs. HTC/Google Nexus One

Hey, I'm an iPhone devotee, and I don't like being elitist about it.

Advertising is something most smartphone makers don't do, at least not in North America. That's partly why the Droid is doing so well versus the technically superior Nexus One: people know the phone exists! Much of the same is true for RIM as well. The one exception is Palm, to some extent, but it doesn't have the money it once did. We'll see how the Verizon webOS phones fare.

I picked up my nexus 1 last night. still getting used to it. however as i type this i am using voice text..

And the nexus one final product blows the iphone away:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/revie...one-review.ars

what is your point?

If there was one on AT&T I might buy one to occasionally switch to when I want to use something other than my iPhone, but for the most part I like my iPhone and everytime I switch to another phone I find myself right back where I started. When another phone can duplicate my personal iPhone experience and maybe improve on it then I'll consider another device full-time, until Android, webOS and the like will have to be part-time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Ok maybe you did read what I said... I was referring to multitasking... The phone OSes I listed do it WITHOUT A HACK... get it? and lets not mention customizing of notification sounds lol... you need a hack to do that? voip? lol you need to hack to use that... can you install a different SMS app? not without a hack... what about homescreen wallpapers? not without a hack...

Since you mention non-tech savy.. if i was a non-tech savy person i would ask why I even need a hack in order to get what the next guy gets on his blackberry or andriod without it? A non tech savy person is not likely to jailbreak... because the term "hack" and "void warranty"... those are scary terms to the "average" user...

Oh examples... hmmm how about the implementation of google services I mentioned above? is a jailbroken iphone better than the nexus? heck is a iphone with mobile me better than nexus/google services?

what about widgets?
    live wallpapers?
    what about a jailbroken phones notification system? can you see and select different notifications while in another app? lets say someone text, emails, tweets and you finish a download... can you check anyone of them with exiting pandora?

Can you mount it as a hard drive and drag and drop files at will?
    can you delete songs and pictures off the phone without it being connected to itunes or a computer?

Ill wait for you answers.... :2thumbs:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

There's no "killer" of anything, unless it's the maker themselves. Any phone maker who gets complacent about updates, loses sales.

Ditto for not being widely available on all carriers. Palm is going to do so much better now that Verizon and AT&T will be selling their phones.

Besides, competition doesn't come one device at a time. A couple of million Droids here, a million Eris there, another million Pres over yonder... pretty soon all those little millions add up to many millions of sales... that Apple isn't getting.

any AT&T users on the fence.....nexus one is a excellent choice. Android is superior to iPhone

No biggies, I was just pointing to an article that dealt spefically with the cameras on each phone.

I do agree that nokia cameras are ridiculous, I came from a n82 and it was excellent.

A few things here:

The Nexus One isn't twice as fast as an iPhone 3GS. I've seen side-by-side browser tests: the Nexus One can be faster, but only slightly. Image quality is also debatable too, since Nexus One shots can be noisy where iPhone 3GS shots are fairly clean. I won't dispute that the RAM, AMOLED screen and (for now) Android multitasking are definite edges for Google's phone.

No, it's not a matter of time before Android Market crushes the App Store. It could happen, but Google needs to improve its presentation and encourage major developers to write code in droves; they have some, but only a fraction of what Apple does. Apple thrives on integration and presentation, and right now Android Market still feels more like a hobbyist's paradise than a place your mother would trust.

Apple is better at a lot more than just profit-taking (remember, Google is in this to make money, too). Its interface is even more straightforward than Google's, and it understands the software side of things much better. Google's OS independence is nice, but the copmany has no idea how to do anything that doesn't involve the cloud: there's no such thing as direct computer sync in Android land. As of today, Android still appeals more to alpha geeks than to the everyday user both in the UI and just in focus.

And don't confuse changes you've seen to the iPhone so far with what Apple will do in the future. The iPhone 3GS' changes were relatively subtle (though it's *much* faster), but most of us are expecting a more tangible refresh in mid-2010. Don't be surprised if there's a higher-res screen, a faster-still processor and the 5-megapixel camera with flash; all of those have not only been rumored but are actually quite achievable.

Before I go too far into defending the iPhone, I personally want both platforms to succeed and have an absolutely fierce jonesing for the Nexus One. Both Android and iPhone are great software and are forcing people to rethink what they use a phone for.

iPhone killer? Many tried, all failed.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information