Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

No more talks of Symbian^4 as Symbian will be upgradable

Great news?
    They just cancelled symbian ^4

Would that move it closer to in one sense to how Android is run? Perhaps there is a real meaningful governance structure there but seems pretty much owned and controlled to Google looking at how its perceived at least in th media. With the obvious exception that other than Nokia and a couple (?) of Japanese manufacturers no one else is using Symbian.

Yeah, I see the pattern in your glorious numbers ...

Nokia sold 10.1 Million more smartphones this quarter than last Q3.

Apple, despite all the hype & hoopla, only sold 8.9 million more.

See, you can spin anything any which way - what sucks is, the spin machine Apple retains rocks (compared to Google, Nokia etc)! (except T Bon, he can't decide whether he hates or loves Apple devices )

Eh, what else is Niklas Savander going to say?

Remember that right up until the day before Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns went under, both firms, according to their executives were in no immediate danger.

So, yeah. Grain of salt and all. Look at what they do, not what they say.

If you go just by what he says, Nokia has no intention at all of entering the tablet market...but I doubt it. I'm betting Elop doesn't want to cede what could be the future of mobile computing to Cupertino and Android. As it is, Apple's lead in that arena (touch tablet computing) is already wide and growing.

Pessimism to lees,,,,glass will always be half empty for some!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I think they could move it more like how or like a lot of Enterprise Unix/Linux Distributions are run. Have simultaneous OpenSource governance (no real money behind it, just a community, if they're interested, they can commit code to the project) and Enterprise Development and have the the Development side release dev/beta builds and then that gets rolled into a Stable Release (major or minor).

It's clear, with so many drop outs, that Nokia needs to take control of Symbian. Again, I'm hopeful Qt can be a unifying platform and increase the development of apps for our platforms.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

To be fair to Apple, they did all that *with just one device*, compared to competitors' range of devices combined.

I guess I was wrong. Whiny Illogical Fanbois are just ... illogical.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Nah not blind.....Yes I have become a huge Android fan.....like many others at XDA.... but I walk through the maze of ROM flashing with my arms out looking for obstacles for sure.....There are MANY lagfixes...I want to see which one is the best and most harmless to future ROM flashing.

I have read every single post regarding all ROM flashes and "fixes at XDA over the past few weeks. Believe me I have flashed my phone silly. I don't have (or maybe notice) the issue otherwise I would have already installed a fix....ya think? I have a Frankenstein Phone to play with and flash that first before my user phone. All three of my Captivates run the same. My wife's is on the first beta Froyo release. I am not messing with hers because she is happy with it as it is.

If you read those posts (and I have read every post in the Cognition Froyo thread AND the lag fixing and GPS threads.)...I have learned some of the lagfixes can cause more issues than they are worth IF people forget to disable them when flashing a new ROM. Brick city....which requires SDK and adb knowledge (which I had to learn the hard way....adb is my friend now...)

ROMS are coming fast and furious so i will wait......HOWEVER The latest Cognition ROM Beta 9 has Voodoo's lagfix built in using an "experimental slip" That does not sound too good to me so I am waiting for more responses to the ROM which was only released yesterday or the day before. IM sticking with Cognitions as an "all in one tested ROM" I don;t want o flash independent kernels over his ROMs....he is incorporating lag fixes now so i will wait.

The bottom line is the lag can be fixed for those "suffering" with it I am waiting for a few more positive responses like this one........(albeit this link refers to a fix for 2.1)

http://www.tested.com/news/samsung-c...e-lag-fix/714/

"i finally stopped being lazy and installed this - all i have to say is THANK YOU. the install went smooth as silk and the phone is indeed much more snappy. quadrant score went from 884 to 2282!!"
    post #922 in the thread you mentioned.....seems promising indeed but when people start talking synthetic benchmarks I know its become more about numbers......Those are very involved people in the device. I am not that deep yet.

but I don;t simply don't experience lag as much or enough to bother with it at the moment. The Cog ROMS have made my device run pretty well. and coming from the N97 my phone already feels like greased lightning.....a stutter now and then is normal to me. Maybe it won't be next month. I will say the reports on the 2.29 have been pretty good so far.....but there have been a few bugs not related to the lag that have cropped up. I will see how those go. Those guys are good. They will make it right. Some people are happy with 2.2 6.....2.2 7 and 2.2 8.1. I just burned 8.1 a few days ago...so I want to give my phone a break. Besides Samsung may have the issue fixed with the official release of 2.2.

BTW There is no "middle" Symbian is old and dead...I would rather have an OS I can mess with and "fix" than one that will not be supported by developer communities the likes of XDA. At XDA questions are answered within minutes and issues are resolved within 30 minutes. Symbian has no such "community" and those that were great are going or are gone....So where is that middle? Look behind you...yep......there it is.....

I am blind alright....Blind to Symbian. I am fully aware of the captivate and its flaws and accept them knowing they will be fixed if not by Samsung then by people like DesignGears and other developers.

The guy in the link I posted applied the fix to his phone and I quote "but that's a small price to pay in order to turn the Captivate into a usable, crazy-fast phone". So it can be fixed just like my fogging N97 flash where I had to cut the plastic off the lens to solve the issue. (of course that particular fix is only for the 2.1)

So wait a minute symbian is basically going to be upgrading to become a better and more improved OS along with Meego??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information