Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

No more talks of Symbian^4 as Symbian will be upgradable

I think this was the other piece of the news, paired with yesterday's Qt announcement, that seemed to be missing.

It now looks like Nokia is folding Symbian back in house, as a 'nameless' OS that's overshadowed by Qt and Meego,. So essentially you won't be buying a Symbian phone, per se, in the future. It'll be a 'Nokia', like an iPhone. Consumers don't call iPhones iOS devices. You say 'iPhone' and everybody gets an image of the UI, App Store, etc.

Nokia is (ducks) aping the Cupertino strategy.

I'm not sure what to make of it; to me it sounds like half a story, as if there's another shoe to drop. I wouldn't be surprised if there's also some other major announcement soon.

And it does kind of sound like they've canceled Symbian 4, but again, there's information missing.

Have you also noticed that mobile phones which include series 30 and 40 devices dropped by about 10 million, that can more than account for the 10 million increase in smartphone sales. since nokia smart phones are in the low end to mid range.

I say Nokia would be pretty stupid to ignore the tablet market. If Blackberry is bold enough to introduce Playbook with a brand new OS nobody ever heard of, submitting a tablet with Meego is far less a risk and one that would have Intel's backing if you use a Moorehouse in it.

If Qt can unite the platforms, then perhaps MeeGo and Symbian will be... both sort of nameless. They will just be UI differentiators.

I vote Nokia call the MeeGo with their UI, Maemo.. haha! I liked the name Maemo.

I wouldn't mind Dev Builds, packaged and readily deployable, for Symbian (or MeeGo). I wouldn't mind testing out their stuff. Hell, we do it now, we can just get rid of the pretense.

I still want Nokia to operate as an Open company, but Open doesn't mean no control. Just be transparent in your code and how you operate and communicate to your community on the direction.

I think that's what Nokia intends.

First impression for me is this is good... makes me eager to buy the E7 cause I know the OS may no necessarily be EOL quickly. New features come as they come. Old hardware can run the OS pending the hardware's capability. Kinda like (winxp, vista, win7)

how far it goes in terms on new features we won't know until we get there I guess.

Symbian^4 is dead :P

Wow, those Reg articles were a bit worrying, things seem much worse than i personaly thought, i guess we can do is wait and see what happens.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What might be happening is that Nokia could be ending Symbian as an open source OS and pulling it in-house, like iOS. It could be what the departure of Lee Williams signifies at the SF, who was replaced by their money guy, the CFO, which was bizarre in itself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information