Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

No more talks of Symbian^4 as Symbian will be upgradable

All I wanted was ATT best Android phone and the Captivate came up. I was not enthusiastic about it being a Samsung after owning Nokia hardware for years. But the HTCs and other Androids paled in comparison. Samsung will address the issue or a custom ROM will either way it will be fixed because it can be under the Android OS......I have only been exposed to Android for about a month now and have learned a lot and have a lot still to learn.

And this is how Johnnycat26, FFR and T-Bong and other professional wailers (trolls) react to this news.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ee925OTFBCA

most of the purchasers of the N8 won't be power users who care about a new UI, it takes the pretty pictures they want...
    the C7 is pretty and slim, most of those buyers will not be demanding much..

Nokia did cripple their sales of the N900 and the loyalty of Nokia lovers by not releasing an 850/1900/2100 variant...
    many of the users who have gone to Android for a trial would have tried Maemo instead if they could use their 3G networks...

You may be right there...I avoided the N900 because of that very reason initially but I always wait for the early adopters to read their posts and would not have bought that phone ultimately anyway. I did not see any app support and more of a hobby device for those who want to do more than flash their devices and actually write Sw for it.

However I believe people who buy the N8 are "power users" by virtue of the fact they are seeking unlocked devices to begin with. They just don't know in many cases (as did I) what else was out there and what kind of power they were leaving on the table in favor of a metal case and a few more Mega Pixels. They had better not be powerusers though becasue Symbian is dead and updates will be far and few.

That is the beauty of Apple for many on the other extreme. all the fun of a slick GUI and no headaches. Plug and play..Itunes is a cinch, Icons are easy. cache for some.......Android sits in the middle. You can use it like an iPhone or an N900 and play to your hearts content. I had tro carry around an iTouch for wifi even when I had the n97 because the N97 was so slow and cumbersome to use in that regard. I have not used the itouch since getting the Samsung. That says a lot for the Andriod OS. More than it says for Samsung. I don;t consider Samsung a great manufacturer by any stretch and would rather it be Motorola or Nokia....but I always buy for TODAY...and today the captivate is the best ATT has to offer in the Android flavor. Its better than the vanilla G2 on T Mobile....which a friend of mine recently gave up for a Vibrant.

???

You just provided a link to NokiaUSA with products and pricing. No, I'm not buying anything today, thanks.

I also read the analyst report over at WSJ. They just s***-canned 1,800 people from the Symbian and Ovi divisions. Like I said, it sounds like half a story.

Holy cow, Elop is like Michael Corleone at the end of Godfather II, cleaning house.

Long live Symbian^4.

and that's great, heck I'm happy for anyone that finds the right phone. (even if it is an iPhone *shutters*)

For me the iPhone was probably just as bad if not worse than the N97 was for you. I even lost a lot of money on the iPhone just to get it off my hands because of how much I hated it. Sure I still make jokes about Apple users around here, but I don't have the urge to go pee in "their" pool. You know what I'm saying... :lol:

I think this is right. the name symbian will go into the background and it will become the corporate OS ala Samsung's Bada. It will go into cheap smartphones. The UI will be overhauled over time.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Try moving your mouse cursor to the linked text ... the part that says "This comment ...", and pressing the left-most (usually) button on your mouse. That usually works.

Maybe there's an app for that, if it's too complicated

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I completely agree..... and yes I am very disappointed with Nokia. I expected far more from them than the N8. I could not see paying $500 for an upgraded N97. When $150 for the Captivate was staring me in the face. A little research on XDA and some Android forums and I was sold and yeah became a huge fan immediately after burning my first ROM and refunding my first App, syncing with Appbrain and loading joined contacts from Google FB and Twitter..... pics and all....Yeah I am a fan boy....no shame.

You see I carried an Itouch for Wifi browsing with my N97 and really wanted something along those lines that was open and without the restrictions of Itunes as a phone. I had hoped Nokia would have something. When Samsung and Sony especially abandoned Symbian I became a little wary of Nokia....Android is truly a nice meld of the iPhone and Nokia hardware....well not so much the hardware but good enough for the next year or so.

People pee in Samsung's pool all day long. I don't get personally offended. My phone is not an extension of my being..... LOL People take this stuff far too personally. And no one dislikes the iphone (or "Apple Control") more than me....I am more than happy to put the itouch away and rid myself of that crap iTunes from my PCs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information