Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

STUPID KIDS! N8 Cracked Lens. Options?!?

Bad luck OP I feel for loss. Thats exactly what it is bad luck. If I were in your position I'd send it to Nokia for repair rather that attempt it on my own. I've seen the N8 drop video's and Nokia really does put it through some good abuse in their drop tumbler without them suffering such breakage. On a side note I'm not using a case but I do use a wrist strap lanyard type thing whenever i'm using my phone so its physically attached to me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That doesn't seem bad at all.

Nokia won't take it / give me a repair number. They say to send it to the third party repair center.

Where did you get a wrist lanyard that fits in that tiny hole on the N8?

yup it wont get covered... just pay for the local tech or 3rd party

Am I missing something here? They wont even let you send it to them to fix? at your own expense? Whoa thats really douchey of them. As for the wrist strap, I had one kicking around from one of the many gadgets in my gadget box and you are correct its hard to thread it through the tiny hole so what I did instead was use a piece of sewing thread and shoved that through the hole. Then I tied the sewing thread to the wrist strap and pulled the slightly thicker loop part of the lanyard through the tiny hole. Dude keep complaining to them to fix it. Escalate things, spend the time and keep your patience when you talk to these people, be persistent. I speak from experience as just today I was able to get my faulty headset replaced without me incurring shipping costs (the headset is under warranty btw). Best of luck to you and let us know about them>>Nokia

most repairs on cellphones outside of warranty parameters are done by a third party organization...
    it's not unique to Nokia...
    have an iphone for over 30 days, crack the glass back, and see what Apple tells you to do w/ the phone...

good times, good times...

You are misinformed. If you break the glass on an iphone, you take it to an apple store, pay them and they will replace the glass for you.

Even the back glass? Hmm. I've heard of Apple reps letting people get away with getting the insurance after the fact (before the iPhone 4) and then doing a replacement via that policy.

It's still better, but Nokia doesn't have a real market presence in NA so I'm not too surprised with our limited choices. If Nokia wants to get into the NA market they do have to do better with customer service options, but without a physical retail presence it will be more difficult

I'm still not seeing how $100 bucks and third-party is unreasonable, unless you think the third-party company sucks. It would be nice to be able to buy the parts, but I can see how managing that distribution would be a nightmare. Plus without some pseudo-clean room I don't think I would want to replace the lens cover/camera assembly on my own. Getting any particulates in that area would piss me off to no end.

Ooh, a wrist strap would be handy for picture taking on the run. I forgot about the lanyard hole.

I feel that nokia still has no idea how to get and maintain a presence in the US market. It's been years and all they can say is "we're working on it."

As much as I like what I'm seeing with the N9, Symbian and MeeGo will never be major players in the US.

I don't think that you should blame the kids for being themselves. Instead, you should be more alert and aware of your surroundings, and exercise due precaution! You were stupid, not the kids.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information