Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Official Thread: Nokia E5

I noticed your second point as well. I'm not sure as to why it does that, but so far haven't found any setting to change it.

The light sensor thing isn't a problem for me, it works well. I thought it was only supposed to affect the backlight of the keys? Cause I notice my keys don't get lit in lighter rooms but in darker rooms they light up bright.

Also, I dropped my phone today. Whenever wearing sweatpants, ALWAYS remember to keep your hand on your pocket when sitting in a car. It fell on the asphalt, screen protector saved the screen but now I have a few dents around the edge on the plastic. I guess the plastic dents very easily.

I should probably get some sort of cover for it. Any tricks on how to hide dents/scratches on plastic?

I used to have an E71-2 as my everyday device, I think in 2008-2009, and this E71-2 is still around as a backup to the backup. Compared to the E71, the E5 is snappier with almost every operation. It's generally a joy to use, although obviously a very different device and far behind my usual device, an iPhone 4.

For some reason, I have had trouble getting the Ovi Store to install applications to a 32 GB Class 4 SD card. Not sure why. The same card worked fine in the E71 (with latest firmware, of course). So the phone memory is great, but I'm eating into it a little bit because some mission critical items like Advanced Call Manager will have to run from the phone memory. Given the choice, maybe I'd have put Advanced Call Manager into phone memory anyway, in order for it to run a little faster. I think I was running it from the phone memory on the E71, too.

The screen is a little disappointing, I find, after using it a few days. I guess that after using an iPhone 4, there's no screen that's going to compare favourably. But the E5-00.2 does not compare well to the E71-2. The difference is visible and there are times the E5's screen is just...lacklustre or even ugly. You can make up for the colour depth a little bit by removing colour depth as a part of your everyday equation: If you set to a black theme, much of what slaps you in the face every time you look at the E5 isn't relevant any longer.

:-)

The Nokia applications for synchronising to Macs are a little long in the tooth, too. I get the feeling they haven't been worked on since I was using the E71, and they seemed a little old even back then.

Now that I've mentioned the Nokia applications, I realise that there is more evidence that the SD card might have a problem. Every time I have tried to move my iTunes library with Nokia Multimedia Transfer, it has ended up corrupted. I have an 8 GB Class 4 card around here somewhere, and I'll give that a try to see for sure if it's the card causing the Ovi Store and music problems.

I am sure that I will go back to the iPhone 4 very soon. I'm one of those folks who has a full range of Apple products because they just seem to work and work well, even if they are expensive at a given hardware capability. Voice calls sound better in both directions on the iPhone 4, and audio recordings sent as MMS sound better on the iPhone 4. It's absolutely just leagues ahead of the cheap Nokia, and of course the E5 isn't intended to compete with it.

But I've always had a weakness for Nokia unlocked devices.

Although they're not viewed this way in Europe or the UK, in the USA it's as if Nokia is just thumbing its nose at the establishment. Still putting out unimproved Symbian devices in 2011? :-) Still turning down agreements with both Verizon and AT&T over little niggling contractual problems? Still keeping prices low enough that you wonder about their margin?

This E5-00.2 is hardly top of class, but it's still nice, and it's nice that you can still buy something this cheap (it was $150) that appears to work wonderfully well and connect to a modern car's Bluetooth with absolute reliability.

If you're looking for a cheap unlocked device that works excellently for texting and email, I think this is a pretty neat device to have, especially for the money.

How is the E5 compared to the E72? From the specs, the main differences are the E5 has more RAM, while the E72 has a better screen and dedicated contact and calendar buttons.

How do they compare for speed and stability?

How do you access the calendar on the E5?

I don't really care about messaging or camera. Using Joikuspot to turn 3g into wifi in Europe and using MFE to sync google calendar are much higher priorities.

To me, they both seem fast and stable. But do not underestimate the difference the cheap screen makes on the E5. Maybe you should take a good look at both of them in bright light to make sure you could live with the E5.

In an office environment, and assuming it's purely for business use that involves a lot of typing, I think the E5 is a great buy. It is a reserve device to me, so I only use it occasionally, but I've never had a huge issue with it.

The only issue I've had that annoys me is that occasional refusal to access a 32GB Class 4 SD card. Have never figured that out. Works sometimes, not other times, and the card is 100% on an E72 and an E71.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information