Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Cellphones Nokia CEO Stephen Elop rallies troops in brutally honest 'burning platform

Maybe in the short term supporting 3 platforms until the transition is complete. Symbian is dead. As in put out to pasture. Gone. The only people who will be buying Symbian phones and supporting the platform is people who don't know any better. Nokia is going with Windows Phone 110 percent. No Maemo, MeegO, and Symbian are going to fade away over the next two years.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Cellphones Nokia CEO Stephen Elop rallies troops in brutally honest 'burning platform

Pooping in one's pants gives a much more nice and comfortable, luke warm feeling for a much longer time than peeing.

Not sure if the memo is authentic - at best it's a blog recap of a townhall speech, as some of the reports say. And maybe incomplete or inaccurate at that.

Anyway, Friday is here soon and we'll see what's what.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I guess in retrospect buying symbian and making it open source was a pretty dumb and worthless mistake

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If they don't push their existing technologies then I'm probably going to abandon Nokia. They make great hardware, but other than the Camera, they have nothing that unique to other manufacturers.

What I'm interested in is their ecosystem, which isn't fully realized. That's what Nokia needs, is someone with vision, to force the follow through.

I have no interest in a closed ecosystem. I don't want to have to load iTunes just to pop music on a phone. I don't want to transcode my media. I like having my phone's files revealed to me on most PCs. I like having a memory card. I don't want some dude up on high telling me what I can and can't load on my phone.

Android would obviously be the next jump for me if Nokia can't get their **** together.

They have a great opportunity to take back the high-end with Meego, Qt, and the partnership with Intel. And a great opportunity to take back the mid-end with Qt and a new Symbian UI.

I'm not sure what they can do about the low-end, but if their Ecosystem is compelling enough then perhaps that is what becomes attractive. I don't think they can compete that well with the low-end price point.

Symbian is dead. I said years ago when the first iphone came out that it was a game changer because of the OS, which is a mobile OSX.

Symbian isn't even considered a smartphone platform anymore. Least of all by Nokia. Did you guys' even read the memo. And yes it's real. Symbian is dead, as is Nokia is dying.

They will go with another OS that is already mature. That is a fact. There is talk now of Symbian either going away or staying on as a midrange OS, basically a regular phone OS. All Nokia non-smart-phones will run some form of Symbian.

I am hearing a mix of Android and Windows OS. They will be mostly a hardware company, which they are good at. Software not so much.

I have owned Nokia phones since the analog days.

They just made my mind up for me on my next Smartphone.

Probably Motorola or even iPhone "5" when it comes out.

It's too late to unite the platforms with QT. Nokia bought trolltech 2 and a half years ago, and is *JUST NOW* shipping phones with QT applications/libraries.

Let me say that again: 2 and a half years. 30 months. That's how long they've owned Trolltech, and who knows how long they were working with Trolltech prior to this on QT.

And one more fact: QT shipped it's first mobile interface way back in 2001 on a Sharp Zaurus. So I'm pretty QT knew it's way around mobile development... Nokia just fumbled the ball.

And it's too late now. The reason there's any development for Android and Blackberry is that the platforms are easy to design for and based on a common language (Java). QT is based on a slightly modified version of C++, which is only really usable with Nokia's tools, or lots of scripts and bandages.

Nokia needed QT to work well a few years ago, when the landscape was still in flux. Now it's like they're bringing bows and arrows to a tank battle. Too late, NOK.

Yeah Moto seems to be shelling out some nice stuff.

I don't know how anyone could now consider getting a Nokia device in the next 2 years. They screwed us hard.

Just curious, what's your definition of a smartphone?

i would switch to Android right now, if had offline navigation maps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information