I own a betta fish, I've had him for 3 months now. He use to greet me at the top of his fish tank each day for feeding time. Now he doesn't, I'll explain why: I noticed after I changed his water this last time around, he seems like he's afraid whenever I or anyone else comes near to his tank. I think he fears the whole water change process now & the root of the problem is the fish net. If I come close to his tank he will dart to the bottom & hide behind the plants. He doesn't swim all around the tank like he did prior, he stays at the bottom only coming up for air & then down to the bottom he goes. His appetite hasn't changed much, just the method in how I once use to feed him prior to the last water change.

I now have to place the pellets in the water & then move away & then he will swim to the surface to feed but with each bite he will dart back down to the bottom & hide as if he is stealing the food & wait a moment to what I guess is to make sure the coast is clear before he continues his feeding instead of just staying at the top to finish it all. If I am in the front he will not eat at all till I am away or out of his site. I use a net to get him out of the tank for cleaning. I've used it several times for removing him for cleaning but this last removal with the net seems to have tramatized him. I'm just wondering is there a different method & or tool beside the net that I can use to remove him safely from the tank without causing any further trauma to him come water changing time? Please help. Thank you.