Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Updated Cricket coverage vs.Straight Talk coverage?

Does that apply to the month you add the minutes too, and then after that it expires and you have to do it again for the next month? or after you add the $5 package, can you use roaming minutes at $0.25/min forever? lol

does that question make sense? i don't want to have to keep adding roaming minutes every moneth because i don't know when i'm going to be roaming, i just want to have the capablility to make a roaming call (without calling and asking for the $5 package right then) if i need to

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have a Straight Talk Samsung Messenger and I have a Cricket Motorola Hint.
    I had Straight Talk and the coverage was and is awesome. I haven't been anywhere yet that I didn't have coverage. (I live in Bastrop, Texas) Even in the little dinky one-horse towns and out in the country I have experienced lose of signal for about 100 feet on a dirt road way off the beaten track then it was right back.

I had been interested in Cricket for a couple of years and it finally arrived in Bastrop. I saved up the money for the Hint, gave my Straight Talk to my DH and got the Cricket $40 a month plan which amounts to $47.21 compared to Straight Talks $48.71 every 30 days.

I love the phone.

First thing I discovered was that I barely have service in my home. If I need to make an important call I use DH's Straight Talk. Next thing I discovered was that the Hint has been discontinued and I wasn't even able to register it with Motorola. If I go into Austin, which I rarely do or go into town in Bastrop I have pretty good coverage. If I go 5-10 miles in any other direction, I have no phone and I mean no service at all.
    I bought the phone March 31st and the day after Easter I tried to return it and was told that since I had talked on it for more than 30 minutes I couldn't return it. I had talked on it for 51 minutes.
    So I have a really cool phone that is almost useless to me. I really wish I could get my Straight Talk phone back from my husband, but he isn't about to take the Cricket.
    When my free month is up I probably won't pay for another month and I'll just throw the phone in a drawer. I couldn't even get a call for it from Craig's List when I posted it for sale.
    I gotta start saving change for another Straight Talk phone now.
    Oh and there's no roaming with Straight Talk. It's just really really unlimited talk not like Cricket. I think I hate Cricket.
    But I love the phone.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have to agree with you. I live in the Knox, tn area. We have had cricket in the area for better than ten years. You can't drive for 10 minutes without hitting 15 dead spots. I have had cricket several times over the years and I must say that their signal strength is getting better all the time but the final straw with myself was at my work I got zero signal. I had to spend my break outside with one bar and was always saying, "what? i can't hear you. repeat that?" It got irritating. Not to mention the phones that cricket has available. The most basic P.O.S. phone is usually better than 100$ and the decent ones are unbelievable. So I switched to Straight Talk and got the 79$ LG phone and got the wife the 99$ Samsung Messenger. I now have 100% coverage EVERYWHERE at work and all over town. I havn't found any dead spots in the six to seven months I've had it. The only issue I have with service is I can't make ringtones and send them to my phone online. All of the sites I know of don't support straight talk. I have tried verizon, trac phone (which if you read the back of a straight talk time card it says powered by trac phone), and other. None of those work. Other than that there have been no issues to speak of.

I do have to say that the Straight Talk phones are somewhat durabed-down versions of the ones originally released with whatever company. Before straight talk my had the Samsung Messenger offered from Cricket, 200$, it only lasted about 5 months before it fell apart but the image quality of everything was much better.

Another thing I dislike about Cricket is the rate at which they cycle their phone nurabers. Any time we get new Cricket service we get people calling us for the previous nuraber holder. I know this is to-be-expected but it always lasts for 6months or more. It's always the same people calling. I don't know how durab you can be that if you are told so and so isn't at this nuraber anymore you'd get the hint after SIX MONTHS! Cricket is not to blame for the stupidity of some people but i wish they would hold a nuraber for a few months before they issue it out to somebody else.

The wife has decided to switch back to cricket because she doesn't like the way her phone handles web browsing. I don't use mine for anything other than google or wikipedia, which it does fine with. I guess she has more problems with the networking sites.

Anyways make sure you look into all of the features you will be using before you decide on one. I also highly recommend getting a nice phone and flashing or having it flashed if you decide to go with cricket.

*EDIT* I dislike the edit button. It tripled/mixed up a lot of text. Took forever to straighten out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Trac Phone owns Straight Talk. Straight Talk uses Verizon's network. Verizon and Straight Talks coverage is near identical. Verizon should have worked for you just as well as Straight Talk. ST is MUCH cheaper though!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

cricket signed roaming agreements with many other carriers besides sprint. There are alot of regional carriers as well as metropcs. So having someone look at sprint's coverage is not accurate. Just look at the coverage map for your area on mycricket.com to get the most accurate map.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am able to roam in(west) Knoxville.Because of this i have not encountered no dead spots on Cricket but vastly improved coverage.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, jgalaz. I saw the maps and they look really comprehensive, but I don't really trust carrier maps.

Can anyone tell me what their experience with the NEW coverage is like?

I'd also love to hear if anyone can give insight on their experience with the updated roaming coverage in the Little Rock AR, Detroit MI, New York NY, and Princeton NJ metro areas. I live in Little Rock, but travel a lot for work to those areas.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

the new coverage is great! there were plenty of buildings where i never got a single bar at before, but now i have full bars! i dunno about traveling yet...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't understand how that is possible since Cricket is not allowing in-market roaming. If you are in a Cricket market, then coverage is identical as before. You will only see changes when you travel outside your local Cricket market...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

At different places in my house when I try to place a call I get a message stating that I can complete my call by using a credit card; how lame is that? I haven't had a phone that charged roaming in years. Sooooo . . .
    this morning I boxed up my Motorola Hint that I really loved and gave it to my grand daughter. She is living in Austin so she will be okay with Cricket there. Her dad said he would pay for her service. Now I am without a phone until I can scrap up the money for a new Straight Talk phone. Sure wish I could afford the Samsung R810c, but that is just too much money for me even for a touch screen.
    So guess I won't be coming back to the Cricket forum again.

Ann

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information