Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How can I boost my credit?

I've done tons of research and learned a lot about how I can improve my credit. So far I've been doing the following -
    1.) For the past 2 years, I've been making consistent payments on time
    2.) I have 4 credit cards with very low credit limit which will accumulate to under $3000.
    3.) I've been actively using $1000 (distributed within those 3 credit cards) on monthly basis.
    4.) I've auto-debited all my payments and make sure they are on time.
    5.) I have a $3000 secured loan and making payments on time (to show consistency on my payments)

Here is the bad part -
    1.) I have one small account in collections (under $1500) and I tried settling (pay in full) with the original creditor, but they'd rather have me deal with the collection agency (I'm not doing it).
    2.) I settled one of my credit card account with 60% waiver (In Jan 2010) with the original creditor
    3.) I've had 2 hard inquiries because I was desperate for a car and went to car dealerships and tried to get approved (8 months ago)
    4.) I got recently denied for a credit card
    5.) I am actively receiving student loans.

Yes, I am doing the basic steps - make payments on time on cards and bills, utilize less than 50% of my credit cards, and etc. BUT my score is moving up SO SLOW. My score has only changed by 5-8 points in the last 2 years. I understand it takes a while to fix my credit, but I've deliberately been showing insane credit activity and paying it off so my "past" won't affect my credit as much.

Is there anything I'm currently doing wrong? Should I be looking at this situation in a different perspective? All answers are welcomed. Thanks!

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    It is going to be hard to have a score go up much when you still have an account in collections and you just tried to get another credit card. Also, you have the credit card waiver that was only 20 months ago.

I think you already know what you need to do and just don't look forward to doing it.

-Clear up the collections.
    -Quit trying to get more credit cards.
    -Ride a bike or take public transportation.
    -Get your credit card utilzation lower. 50% is not horrible but it will still hurt you compared to 10%.
    -Do this for years not months.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information