I was approved for an apartment this monday after sending in my application, having my income verification looked at, and going through a criminal and credit background check. So I told the landlord that I would have the money this saturday which is the first my payday. Immediately he was adament that he get the money thursday (today) or friday. I let him know this wasn't possible and he seemed anxious.

To make a long story short after approving me he called to verify my income and the person he talked to wouldn't say yes or no if I made the amount I stated in documentation, but they told him I couldn't afford the place. Immediately he called me saying he couldn't let me in. Then he said he would. Then the next day (today) he said I have no verifiable income and he won't be letting me in. I gave him two proofs on income.

No paperwork was signed, but there was a verbal agreement. I want my documents back from this guy because he's causing some trouble with me now. How do I go about this and do I have a case for discrimination? Also what exactly is verifying income? Is it calling to get a yes or no answer about income or what?
Oh and I got the money to move in today and when I told him he said he has no idea where I got the money from. The money was from my employer from my paycheck.

I never dealt with anything like this and I've rented before. Most landlords want money orders and this guy wanted my bank account routing number and yes this was in person. To me it sounds scammish.