I have a yamaha keyboard (don't ask me which model because I don't know) and a MIDI thingamajiggy, i plugged it into my laptop and it does that little 'boo doop' noise that means i've just plugged something in and a little message comes up at the bottom right hand corner saying it's working fine and it's installed.
The problem is I don't know what's installed how I'm supposed to use it or where I'm supposed to find it because I've looked on my computer but the MIDI usb cable isn't showing up, I checked a website with a tutorial and it said something about pro something or other 8 which i don't remember having so i searched that on the start menu and all i got was some stuff in the control panel with no relevance whatsoever.

I need an idiot's guide to MIDI cables pls and I'd prefer minimum computer jargon because i'm a novice on computer's, so how do i install this pro 8 thingy, where do i install it if i need to install it and how do i put my recorded songs on my laptop? Before you ask yes I have a manual for the keyboard and the MIDI thing but when I try to read it I just don't get it, HELP?! 10 points for the best answer!