My father had an accident at work 2 months ago, he fell from a platform and injured his head pretty bad. He broke his arm and nose. We thought he was recuperating pretty well but he has started saying some crazy things lately and he's acting very paranoid. He ran away from home 2 weeks ago and we had to beg him to come back. He stopped receiving worker's compensation and his job will no longer give him his position back when he recuperates. All of this got to his head and he attempted to commit suicide earlier this week! He survived his suicide attempt and he's currently in a behavioral health center for 3-7 days.

My mother doesn't have a full-time job so our family is really struggling for money right now. My question to you is what kind of financial assistance programs can we apply for to help us out until my mother finds a job to pay the bills? I was thinking Food Stamps, TANF, and unemployment benefits for my father. Maybe he could file for disability because he's not in the right mindset to work right now? Shouldn't worker's compensation pay for the suicide attempt hospital stay and behavioral health center stay because this can all be attributed to the accident he had while at work? The complicated thing is that he called his employer and "quit" about two weeks ago while he was still receiving worker's compensation because he is very afraid of his former boss and he thinks he is out to kill him. Like I said, he is very paranoid now. Does that automatically mean that he can no longer receive worker's compensation? I hope I'm not coming across as some guy who is trying to mooch off of the government but our life is a living hell right now and we can't pay the bills. We need help now to just get by.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.