Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    !!!

When is mental ability (mental age, i.e., IQ) at its apex for humans?

I figure in the 20s? I feel a lot smarter now (24) than I was at 18. Is that normal? Also do things like memory peak at certain ages as well?Or, is it always the same? Because if you have an above average IQ, your mental age would just be proportionately larger at each interval. A person with an IQ of 100 at age 1 would be 1. At 2, 2. But a person with an IQ of 120 at age 1 would be 1 year and 2.4 months. LIL, the separation would be even more noticeable at older ages. Is that why we can tell so easily who is and isn't smart? I mean, I am smart. 117-123 range. So, can't you just tell by the way people act what there IQ is? Verbal IQ is confounding because people with more education will score higher. But people with more education are, in general, smarter. So, that makes sense. But someone could have an IQ of 150 or an IQ of 130, how could you tell? You can't?

!!!!Go Spurs Go!!!!!

I have no idea what you just said.

Teej

I think that you are thinking too hard.The Uni-bomber went freaking schizo' His IQ was 167.My cat is smarter than some people kids!They understand when trained. Some people are just book smart and don't have an ounce of street smarts.Did you see that movie where the husband had to pick the lent off of his smart wife, before she left for work?Well there are a lot of people out there, driving cars, buses and other vital duties and couldn't fight their way out of a paper bag.I've met a 78 yr old man that just died two weeks ago. He was sharp as a tack. Then there are some 24yr olds that are in college and are dirt dumb. I think it's the way you apply yourself.Acting one way, does not mean ignorance. Just a preference in acting a preferred fashion.If it doesn't agree with you, this may come back to bite you in the rear. Because those same people acting uneducated, may just be fooling you.I've met alleged ghetto dwellers that are loud, rude and smell. They travel a road that is fit for them and they are smart on those roads.Put someone with a high IQ on that same road and they are probably likely to run off into a ditch.Some people feel, just because someone is from another culture that they are not smart, because they don't understand the language that they are speaking. But in their culture, they are smart.Some people tend to talk louder to these people. It's not their hearing that needs fixing. It's just a different up bringing.If you use your mind and exercise it. It will serve you well.Otherwise you lose what you don't use.

tee.tee

According to longitudinal studies, intelligence continues steady or increases over the life span, unless the individual experiences some unfortunate physiological change that compromises the brain's ability to function optimally. The longer I live, the smarter I get just because of life experiences and ongoing learning.And do your homework. Even if measuring the IQ of a preverbal 1-year-old child was possible, an IQ of 120 doesn't mean the child is on par with a child of 1 year and 2.4 months. You are confusing an IQ test with an aptitude test or an achievement test. Extrapolating that would mean that a 60-year- old with an IQ of 150 is as smart as a 90-year-old. Suddenly doesn't make too much sense, does it?

!*Britbrat*!

Well, first of all, who says that IQ really means what people say it means? I've taken IQ tests, and so many of them require rote memorization of trivia and facts. So if I don't know what river flows east and west through some province in the Yukon, I lose ten points on an IQ test?Intelligence comes from perception and conclusions from perception. There are people in the world who are so intelligent that they aren't even noticed. They see what's going on and want to have as little to do with it as possible, laughing at those who claim to have 180 IQs, while knowing themselves that their own IQs would only register as about 110-120 on the "standard" IQ tests, simply because those who think intelligence can be measured with some kind of standardized test are deluded.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information