Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    memejucalola

If I think I may have depression, may I discuss that with my family doctor

or just a therapist for medication? If I suspect I may have depression/panic attacks, can I discuss that with my family doctor for medication or just a psychiatrist?
    Thanks!

Rozzy
    Your first contact should be your family doctor who will be able to make a diagnosis and to rule out any other health problems that may be causing your symptoms. S/he will be able to prescribe whatever is necessary to help you. You will only be referred to a psychiatrist if your condition is severe enough for that course of action. Normally you will not need to see a psychiatrist but if you do, s/he will have prescribing powers as well as your GP.

If you don't want to use medication or the condition(s) you have do not require medication, your doctor should be able to recommend a psychotherapist (or possibly a counsellor) so you can have a talking therapy (whatever kind is appropriate for your symptoms). In the UK, psychotherapists do not prescribe drugs.

It is relatively easy to help people with panic attacks by using psychotherapy rather than using medication to reduce the symptoms.

Rozzy
    Your first contact should be your family doctor who will be able to make a diagnosis and to rule out any other health problems that may be causing your symptoms. S/he will be able to prescribe whatever is necessary to help you. You will only be referred to a psychiatrist if your condition is severe enough for that course of action. Normally you will not need to see a psychiatrist but if you do, s/he will have prescribing powers as well as your GP.

If you don't want to use medication or the condition(s) you have do not require medication, your doctor should be able to recommend a psychotherapist (or possibly a counsellor) so you can have a talking therapy (whatever kind is appropriate for your symptoms). In the UK, psychotherapists do not prescribe drugs.

It is relatively easy to help people with panic attacks by using psychotherapy rather than using medication to reduce the symptoms.

JoJo
    both can help you

d d
    Family doctor is a great start. they can recommend a good psychiatrist.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information