Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Was Mitsuyo Maeda or Helio Gracie the creator of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu?

In Brazil, they believe Mitsuyo Maeda was the father of Brazilian Jiu-jitsu. Not Helio Gracie.

Before settling in Brazil, Maeda was already traveling the world and won more than 2,000 challenge matches against boxers and catch wrestlers.

Before teaching it to the Gracies, he already made modifications to his art and came up with new theories on fighting in different ranges and fighting against strikers. He trained with catch wrestlers and incorporated wrestling into his art.

So was is it Mitsuyo Maeda or Helio Gracie the founder of BJJ?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitsuyo_Maeda

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Maeda was traveling the world for Kano in order to spread Judo. His groudwork in Judo overcame everyone once they were thrown because nobody KNEW of judo, thus, "spreading the work". He taught Judo to Carlos gracie and Helio watched.

The Gracie's made modifications to the ground game of judo (which came from Japanese Jiu-Justu). and since they did this in Brazil, bam, Brazilian Jiu Jitsu....if you want to think of it in a roundabout way, Kano took a deadly art (Jiu Jutsu), turned it into a sport (Judo) and the Gracies put the "combat" element back into it (BJJ).....more or less.

As far as who invented it, I'm going to go with Maeda being the father of it...without him, we wouldn't have it.....one step further, I'm going to say that Carlos Gracie is the man before Helio. Sure, Helio was small, but who taught him and helped him adapt it to his condition? Carlos.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I think the Gracies didn't say they created Brazillian Jiu-Jitsu. Rather they said they preserved Jiu-Jitsu or Judo in its original form. On the Gracie's website, it states they are practicing an art that the Japanese have forgotten.

When Maeda started learning judo in the late 1800's, judo was more similar to jiujitsu with a lot of groundfighting and submission holds. Judo didn't change to the way it is today until the 1920's with rules against certain joint locks and submissions. They want to make it a spectator sport by emphasizing throwing. By that time, Maeda was already in Brazil teaching so he was able to pass along a lot of the original submissions and groundfighting skills to his students.

However, Kosen Judo still exists today which has a lot the groundfighting skills that is taught in BJJ.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I'm Brazilian Jiu Jitsu practitioners resident of Brazil Capital of Brazil

I'm using the google translator because I can not speak English.

what also known as Count Koma Mitsuyo Maeda was the techniques of judo and some of tecncias wresterling that were taught to the Gracies.
    adpta??o who made the game and fighting style focuses on submission and did not score in improving the techniques was the Gracie family.
    He improved the techniques by giving them the enfaze combat and not from the sports

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information