I'm originally from South Korea and I've been in the States for about 3 years. Due to school and work reasons I haven't been able to visit back home since I came here and now my parents told me they're coming to visit for a month in January and I'm not happy about it for some reason. I knew they were coming around that time, but they booked the tickets without notifying me and now I know they're gonna be here for an entire month. I'm Ok with two weeks or so but a month seems so long to me, not to mention I have work and my boyfriend and my own life. I just feel when they're here I'm going to have to drop a lot of things I usually do and take them around all the time. They keep saying they don't need to have me showing them around all the time but they don't know what it's like in America and thought they can figure out public transportation easily and go to places themselves.

A lot of people don't understand why I'm like this and they think I should be happy that I can finally see my parents after coming here for 3 years. Honestly I'm an independent child and I'm not kidding I never missed home or my family since I came here. There're memories from back home that I miss and think about every now and then, but not the people, and I feel like I'm living a peaceful, content life here and I don't need anybody disturbing this. My parents, knowing nothing about the lifestyle and everything else here, have been a real headache to talk to. I think they are not used to the fact that I left home and I started life myself now. Is it normal that I dread about them coming?